Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of the Secret Service configuring and acquiring several stretch-armored Prius for the Presidential fleet? :?:

·
Registered
68 Posts
that's absurd. Post a link if you're saying it's true.

What kind of message would it send that the US secret service is using Japanese econo-cars?

I'm quite certian that Federal agencies stick to American cars. I've never seen anything to the contrary.

If you can refute or give examples of otherwise, please advise.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am guessing littleprius was just throwing out an idea. I wouldn't think it would be very efficient carrying the armored plating - not to mention the current ones have to be able to run from an attack. I don't think the Prius would be chosen for a quick getaway.

Not ripping the Prius, just not its fortay.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
idealflaw said:
that's absurd.
What kind of message would it send that the US secret service is using Japanese econo-cars?
The message might be that we have a president who understands, advocates for, and is serious about conservation of resources and reducing dependency on foreign oil. You are right. Absurd!!!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Hep said:
idealflaw said:
that's absurd.
The message might be that we have a president who understands, advocates for, and is serious about conservation of resources and reducing dependency on foreign oil. You are right. Absurd!!!
:!: :!:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hep said:
idealflaw said:
that's absurd.
Amen, Hep. Amen.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i would prefer my nations leaders, no matter how much i utterly LOATHE them, to travel in armoured, extremely powerful & safe vehicles.

Driving an american car, as sucky as they are, is neccisary because any other vehicle would mean we're using our tax $'s to go towards tariffed foreign imports. that also sends a message that we dont' support home-built cars.

The whole notion of this post is absolutely absurd and it's also absurd I have to defend my statement.

have some sensiblity, people.
i'm all for saving fuel but come on....

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
idealflaw said:
i would prefer my nations leaders, no matter how much i utterly LOATHE them, to travel in armoured, extremely powerful & safe vehicles.

Driving an american car, as sucky as they are, is neccisary because any other vehicle would mean we're using our tax $'s to go towards tariffed foreign imports. that also sends a message that we dont' support home-built cars.

The whole notion of this post is absolutely absurd and it's also absurd I have to defend my statement.

have some sensiblity, people.
i'm all for saving fuel but come on....
The topic was in jest. Defending your statement is up to you, I was just having fun. Now defending the president (verbal, not armor) would be the real challenge here. :wink:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Aaah, politcs never cease to get people up in arms.

I'd rather talk about Prius. I just had a flat fixed for free by Courtesy Toyota in Orlando. Or coffee. I've been grinding my own lately. Or music. I'm really loving Adventure Cargo: Rainforest, by Diane Arkenstone.

Just some suggestions. Please? I'm just trying to keep this thread from going over to the "dark side." Heh. :?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
idealflaw said:
How about a stretched, armored, Ford Escape Hybrid? (It would even add to his Texan everyman image, riding in an SUV.)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The major problem with using any hybrid (other than maybe the RX400/Highlander,) is the lack of power. Even the Accord Hybrid doesn't really have enough power to survive the stretching and armoring process. (Bullet-proof glass weighs a LOT, about 5 times 'normal' glass.) A Prius would lose all acceleration capabilities if you doubled its weight to stretch and armor it. And as a vehicle that needs 'go go go' power, the president's limo can't have that.

So, sorry, ain't gonna happen.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm guessing that once you put on all the bullet-proofing armor, the added weight would completely thwart pulse and glide. Then you'd have the entire government at a stand-still while they try to figure out why they couldn't get the EPA posted MPG! :twisted:

·
Registered
32 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts