Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked but failed to find a previous note on this.

This AM I filled up at my usual place and the car was fully warmed after having driven 47 miles on my commute. Filled the tank and recorded data per normal, reset the consumption odometer per normal, and started the car. It was then that I noted that the fuel guage only indicated 5 pips. Proceeded to leave the pump and after clearing, looked at the guage again; 7 pips showing! It was only after about 1/10 mile and 2 minutes that the guage showed 11 pips.

Ideas?

Gauge just as tired as I am after 3 weeks of 24/7 operations? :lol:

Pips on strike....? :wink:

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Normal, except for the 11 pips. There are only 10 of them.
There is a lag for the guage to come up to full. Think of it as damping so that the guage doesn't go wildly from bar to bar as you encounter bumps and hills on the road.

Solution: fill while the car is in Ig-On, or take your readings while in that mode or READY after you fill. The guage should show full by the time you are done writing and resetting.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
wstander said:
I looked but failed to find a previous note on this.

This AM I filled up at my usual place and the car was fully warmed after having driven 47 miles on my commute. Filled the tank and recorded data per normal, reset the consumption odometer per normal, and started the car. It was then that I noted that the fuel guage only indicated 5 pips. Proceeded to leave the pump and after clearing, looked at the guage again; 7 pips showing! It was only after about 1/10 mile and 2 minutes that the guage showed 11 pips.

Ideas?

Gauge just as tired as I am after 3 weeks of 24/7 operations? :lol:

Pips on strike....? :wink:
Let me add that it is unneccessary for you to manually reset after a fill-up. In fact even if you do the car will automatically reset it once again.

What occurs is this. You fill the tank. Start the car. When you watch the fuel guage it will slowly add 'pips' (as you observed) over the next 30-45 seconds or so until it gets to all 10 (assuming a full fill).

The Consumption screen will remain on the previous setting until the following conditions are met, in order:
1)At least 4 gallons added to tank
2)All PIPs are lit (if partial fill all pips to fill mark)
3)Then the wheel must make one full revolution.

Example. Where I fill I typically drive about 100 yards to the light to merge onto the main road. At the time I come to a stop to wait for the light the PIPs are still filling in but show full before the light changes. The consumptions screen will still who whatever my previous mileage and MPG were. Once the light changes and I start rolling forward the Consumption screen resets.

Sometimes I'm able to keep going and not need to stop for the light. When this happens I can go, as you did, 0.1-0.2 miles or so before all 10 PIPs fill in and then Consumption screen resets. The mileage on the consumption screen may even change a little as might the MPG.

If you choose to reset manually the car will still reset again once you've hit 10 PIPs and the wheels have turned a full revolution.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I was not 'alarmed', just curious.

Strange that in over 11,000 miles and 5 months that I just noticed this lag...

Of course, I always thought that there were 11 pips, too :lol:

Oh well, thanks and back to your regularly scheduled visit from the Tachyons :wink: :wink:

Walt (Coulda sworn that I counted 11 pips...probably need to see Hep 8) )

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
efusco said:
Let me add that it is unneccessary for you to manually reset after a fill-up. In fact even if you do the car will automatically reset it once again.

What occurs is this. You fill the tank. Start the car. When you watch the fuel guage it will slowly add 'pips' (as you observed) over the next 30-45 seconds or so until it gets to all 10 (assuming a full fill).

The Consumption screen will remain on the previous setting until the following conditions are met, in order:
1)At least 4 gallons added to tank
2)All PIPs are lit (if partial fill all pips to fill mark)
3)Then the wheel must make one full revolution.

If you choose to reset manually the car will still reset again once you've hit 10 PIPs and the wheels have turned a full revolution.
Well, the above is true for a 2004-? Prius. There is no automatic reset of the Consumption Screen odometer/MPG in the 2001-2003 Classic Prius (well, with the exception of having the 12v battery disconnected for a long enough period of time).

I have over 30,000 miles on my 2001's Consumption Screen odometer. (When it "rolls over" it truncates off the first digit - so it only shows you up to 9999 miles gone, but it keeps the MPG history...)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
5 pips to the left of half, 5 pips to the right. Since the full pip takes an extra long time to come off, I suppose you have a 'virtual' pip :p

Though I do a manual reset, I don't usually see the automatic reset. I know this because the trip ODO which I also reset matches the MFD exactly. Lucky I guess, or the timing of doing all the recording sets me up so that the manual reset is accepted in lieu of the automatic one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts