Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Prius 26,000 miles For the past month the pump that puts hot coolant to the engine block & takes the coolant out to store in the hot storage tank. The pump would make a squealing noise when running. I took it to Toyota and they confirmed that the pump has failed. it was replaced and in fine now. anybody else with this failure?

Robin Prius Hoods

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
I know of logic error codes with the CHS Tank, but I haven't heard of a squealing pump before. There's always the possibility of a one-off problem...

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... 022-05.zip
US TSB EG022-05
May 17, 2005. M.I.L. "ON" DTC P1151. 2004-2005 Prius. Coolant Heat Storage Tank error code. check for SSC 40D Engine Control Module (ECM) reprogramming, then apply this reprogramming to fix a logic problem.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I'm glad you posted this. I've recently noticed my pump seems a bit noisier than it used to be. I have about 33.5K miles on my '04. The noise probably occured a few thousand miles ago.

I'll have to have this looked into. Glad I got an extended warranty! If the dealer thinks there's nothing wrong, and it decided to fail at 40K, I'd end up having to pay!

As for engine not having coolant, that's not how it works. The engine always has coolant in it. The engine coolant is exchanged with the heat storage tank. So if the pump failed, but wasn't leaking, you simply wouldn't have a pre-heated engine. Now this probably would flag a DTC, but shouldn't prevent engine run.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pump was still pumping but was about to fail It was so noisy you could hear it in the cabin with the radio on. now that it is replaced it sounds Great.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
The last couple of days I have noticed that the pump sounds "off" from waht I'm used to hearing. Louder than usual. I'm concerned, but I have the extended and don't have that many miles on the car right now, 6,700.

It is noisiest in the morning when I start up to go to work. But when I start up at lunch or after the work day to go home it seems normal. Usually sounds normal at shut down.

Questions for those with tech manuals. How long should the pump run at startup, and how long should it run at shutdown? Assuming, of course, that the temperature point for pump run have been met.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, one good news about that pump. It is part of the emissions system, therefore should be covered under the 8yr/100K mile emissions warranty.

A TSB relating to the heat storage (but not for replacing the pump) stated it was covered under the emissions warranty. I think it was the HV ECU giving a false reading, therefore needing replacement. Normally the HV ECU is under the HV warranty, but the TSB had it under emissions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So did the pump make the car sound a bit like a jet starting up? Mine seems to be getting louder. After work, I open the drivers door, put my foot on the brake, and hit the power button (as I walk around the car opening the hatch and doors to let out the majority of the interior heat).

I hear a pump go, the A/C kick on, then a few seconds later, the gas engine starts. It really reminds me of the batmobile! :)

I had a leaking water pump about a month ago. Dealer caught it at the oil change. Small leak, but was spritzing coolant into the engine bay. I filled up a couple days before, and I check the oil level at each fill-up, and didn't notice any coolant smell, or see anything. This was the week before I did 900mile round trip (Chicago to BowlingGreen, KY). eek!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pump had a loud squeal like the sound of a bad belt in a reagular car. The pump is located on the driverside near the fender well. when you first start a cold Prius you will only hear the pump for about 8 seconds. when I took my car to Toyota the first time they replaced the inverter pump by mistake. I think I new more then they did. I havedone a lot of reading in the tech manual

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Mine is starting to sound as if there were sand in the bearings. Not too bad, but definitely different than when I bought it.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
redbrest,

I'm glad you clarified the sound. That is pretty nasty, definitly something the dealer couldn't ignore or blow off. That is why I'm wondering if I should go in. Right now my pump start up noise is like what Danman describes, like sand in the bearings. Like a grinding noise. The pump only runs about 5 or possibly 10 seconds. I haven't been able to start up the car and time the length of time the pump runs. This is a cold start, meaning the car has been off for a number of hours or overnight. When I park the car after getting to work the sound is more normal, and less disburbing, however the sound is definitly lounder than I remember.

Dan, do you have the tech books? If so, could you look this up and let us know if they say anything about noise and acceptable noise levels. Also what about run times for the pump at startup and shutdown? I'd also be interested in knowing if there are two pumps on the thermos (one for incoming coolant and one for outgoing coolant) or just one pump.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
On the whole cooling system (not including the inverter), there are 2 electrical pumps and one mechanical. One electrical pump is to transfer coolant to/from the storage tank. The other electrical pump is to circulate coolant for cabin heat when the ICE is off. The mechanical pump is the traditional one for ICE coolant circulation.

There is a temperature sensor in the tank outlet, so the pump runs until the outlet temperature changes (the coolant that was in the engine and displaced has filled the tank and is now exiting the tank) or a timeout period has elapsed (in case of pump or temperature sensor failure, causing the motor to otherwise run continuously).

From the service manual:
This system uses an electric pump to supply hot coolant stored in the coolant heat storage tank into the cylinder head of the engine, in order to optimize engine starting combustion and reduce the amount of unburned
gas that is discharged while the engine is started. Before the engine starts, the ECM operates the electric water pump to direct the hot coolant in the heat storage tank into the engine, in order to heat the cylinder
head (this process is called ”preheat mode” ). The duration of the operation of the electric water pump is variable, depending on the temperature of the cylinder head. During the normal operation of the engine, the water valve opens the passage between the cylinder head and the heater and closes the passage between the cylinder head and the tank. During preheat mode in which the cylinder head is heated, the water valve opens the passage between the tank and the cylinder head, in order to allow the coolant to flow from the tank to the cylinder head. At this time, in order to warm up the intake port quickly before the engine is started, the coolant flows in the reverse direction.
The sensor for the system, which is provided at the tank outlet, is constructed similarly to the engine coolant temperature sensor and is connected to the ECM. The CHS tank outlet temperature sensor has a built in thermistor, whose resistance varies with the coolant temperature.

·
Registered
32 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Mine is starting to sound as if there were sand in the bearings. Not too bad, but definitely different than when I bought it.
I thought I was the only person who noticed this. Mine is a lot louder than when I first bought it too. I was thinking about taking it in to the dealer to have them inspect it but haven't done this yet. I also notice it is louder more than others, and sometimes is starts out loud and gets softer.

Dan, did you end up getting yours replaced?

Regards,
Bit

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
No, not yet. I doubt my dealer will do it, but I do want them to note it. When I asked them to check the alignment, I think they only took it on a road test and never put it on the rack. I never got a printout. I was relieved to see that it seems to fall under the emissions warranty rather than the comprehensive bumper-bumper warranty, even if I do have the extended warranty. I am fast approaching 36K.

·
Registered
32 Posts
DanMan32 said:
No, not yet. I doubt my dealer will do it, but I do want them to note it. When I asked them to check the alignment, I think they only took it on a road test and never put it on the rack. I never got a printout. I was relieved to see that it seems to fall under the emissions warranty rather than the comprehensive bumper-bumper warranty, even if I do have the extended warranty. I am fast approaching 36K.
Good idea to have them note it. At least that way if it fails you can prove that the pump was failing before your warranty ran out. Of course this is if for some reason it's not covered under emissions warranty.

I have also noticed it's harder pull on the door handles to open the door. Anyeone else notice this?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, I do have an extended warranty, so I am covered that way no matter what.

Nope, door handles are fine. Sometimes though I pull too fast before SKS detected me and unlocked.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Coolant Pump Diagnostics

Does anyone know how to confirm if the storage coolant pump has failed?

Since mid-November, I have not heard the storage coolant pump turn on my 12 month old 2005 Prius (no sound at all). In addition, my ScanGauge does not show the 'water temperature' increase typical during a cold startup when the coolant pump starts up.
Finally, the I don't see any Diagnostic Codes displayed on the ScanGauge.

Is there a Fuse to check?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
BitShifter01 said:
I have also noticed it's harder pull on the door handles to open the door. Anyeone else notice this?
If you mean the inside driver's door handle, then yes I noticed it. It seems to periodically stick and then is fine for a while. I'm not too worried about it but I thought it was kind of odd.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Re: Coolant Pump Diagnostics

rghadimi said:
Does anyone know how to confirm if the storage coolant pump has failed?

Since mid-November, I have not heard the storage coolant pump turn on my 12 month old 2005 Prius (no sound at all). In addition, my ScanGauge does not show the 'water temperature' increase typical during a cold startup when the coolant pump starts up.
Finally, the I don't see any Diagnostic Codes displayed on the ScanGauge.

Is there a Fuse to check?

Thanks
There is a thread on PriusChat which I started that now has a life of its own, and it was about my hot coolant storage pump. If I find the link, I'll edit this post and insert the link.

Here is the link:
http://priuschat.com/Hot-Coolant-Transf ... 13284.html

About 3 weeks ago I thought the hot coolant storage transfer pump had died. I had let the car sit for about 10 days as I used my much older "beater" car to drive around in. Our weather had been very cold and icy and because of the condition of the roads, I didn't want my Prius to be covered in rock, or run into.

When I went out and started the car up, it turned on as usual, but there was no coolant exchange. It was like this for days. No coolant exchange on startup or shutdown. I reluctantly scheduled it into my local Toyota dealer and specifically told them what was wrong with it. I typed up a letter page of observations for the tech and let them have at it. Later the day I dropped it off I got a call and they had determined that nothing was wrong with the tank or pump. They also did the SSC 50p (mine is an early 2005, so it was up for the update). Upon arriving at the dealer they invited me into their shop, and I talked with the tech and the service manager (not the head service writer who passes as manager) that had my vehicle and we discussed what the pump sounds like and then he manually ran the pump with the THHT. I have to admit that in their garage the pump sounded quieter, but it was definitely there and it was operating.

The tech said that he had been on the phone to their tech support line a couple of times that day and both him and the support personnel were trying to figure out why I would notice the pump not working and that they would find it working, make it work on demand and that nothing was out of the ordinary. BTW, if the pump were to fail, it should start posting codes to the ODB to be found by the THHT at the start of a diagnosis.

The only thing they could come up with is that because the coolant after 10 days wouldn't have much heat energy left in it, the car would not do a pump over at startup because the coolant in the tank would be no use to the car. On top of that the frigid temperatures and the fact that there was no assistance from the hot coolant storage system probably caused the cooling system to operate in open loop, circulating coolant around and around in the whole system. Since my commutes are very short the engine never got fully warmed up and since the system was probably running in open loop the coolant in the tank was the same temperature as the coolant in the block. Because there was not a sufficient warm up time the coolant left in the tank at shutdown wouldn't be hot enough for the car to pump over at startup, and the whole process would start over again. Because the car sat at the dealers for a full day being worked on and being driven around and run for test purposes, and inside a building most of the time, the engine got up to a full operating temperature and warm enough coolant was stored in the tank to have it then do a pump over at startup when the block had cooled down sufficiently.

After this trip to the dealer, I have basically stopped worrying about the pump or the system. They had the courtesy to entertain my thoughts on the issue and to invite me into their inner sanctum to show what they knew and prove that all was well. As such, I'm happy with their service and happy with the outcome and that I got 50p done also. As for your situation, I think that a trip to the dealer might be in order, if for nothing else to prove that it works with manual start from the THHT.

Good luck, and let us know what you discover.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I'd say one way to test the pump is go for a highway drive for 20 minutes, then get off/pull over with as little EV/Stealth as possible and turn the car off. Pump should proceed to store that hot coolant.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts