Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new rattle has appeared in my 2004 Prius, and I tracked it down to the autodimming/homelink mirror. If I squeeze the top and bottom of the mirror together towards the right side, the rattle goes away.

I'd like to disassemble the mirror and add some materials to deaden the rattle, but I can't figure out how to disassemble it; there don't seem to be any screwholes.

I'm guessing the rattle is due to the slightly sloppy fit between the plastic bezel around the mirrored glass and the body of the mirror itself.

Anyone had success deadening rattles in their autodimming mirror?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
It has been mentioned. I think most of us ignore it. You might be able to put in some silicone sealant in the gap.

I can't find where the snap clips are and how to disengage them. Many elctronic devices are assembled that way these days. Take your typical cellphone for example. The shell snaps together with no screws.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Just an idea, but are your knuckles touching the panel above the mirror when you are squeezing the top and bottom? I have found that I cannot use the little storage bin intended for glasses without getting a rattle. I have had the autodimming mirror on both my '04 and '06 with no rattles so far from the mirror itself.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Two words...

Duct Tape

:wink:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
That's two words and an emoticon...

Is it the glass that's rattlin around, or something inside? If the glass, you could try wedging a toothpick or two between the plastic and glass to give your fingers some relief

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I think the mirror is ok. The reflection is loose.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Hep said:
I think the mirror is ok. The reflection is loose.
That happens in mine a lot. The mirror stays still, but the images bounce up and down. I haven't determined the cause of that yet... :?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.