Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By better Nav system, Toyota was definately referring to the higher definition screen and features of the nav. But my god! The voice recognition is so much worse! It takes a long time to enter an address this way because as in 2005 and earlier voice commands you push the button and it beeps. 2006 Nav, you push the button and it says "After the beep please speak a command <pause> <beep!>" and I was wondering if there is a way to bypass this or bypass the motion lockout altogether. Anyone come up with any ideas??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
PartyGameGuy said:
By better Nav system, Toyota was definately referring to the higher definition screen and features of the nav. But my god! The voice recognition is so much worse! It takes a long time to enter an address this way because as in 2005 and earlier voice commands you push the button and it beeps. 2006 Nav, you push the button and it says "After the beep please speak a command <pause> <beep!>" and I was wondering if there is a way to bypass this or bypass the motion lockout altogether. Anyone come up with any ideas??
Look in the options menu. You can defeat it, I forget what it is called. You can also turn the keypad into a QWERTY one instead of alphabatized.

The in motion keypad overide works the same as the previous.

This is all said assuming it is the same Nav head unit as on my 2006 Sienna. I know it frustrated me too, at first coming out of the '04 Prius. But now I have to say it does offer more functionality, slightly than the '04.

Spike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll give it a try but I saw in another message forum that the old sequence does not work on the new nav. I didn't see an option to change that Nav voice to not bother you when you push the button.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Spike said:
Look in the options menu. You can defeat it, I forget what it is called. You can also turn the keypad into a QWERTY one instead of alphabatized.

The in motion keypad overide works the same as the previous.

Spike
Oooh, OK, I missed these possibilities. Do enlighten me as to how to achieve these tasks, or show me the way to self-enlightenment. :)

Danka,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
I noticed a bug too

When I say CD through voice recognization then it is switching to CD, but the same is not working when I say AM radio. It says it is recognizing the command but it wont switch to AM radio until you hit brakes hard. I was not able to replicate the sequence to recognizing AM radio by voice command again but I think this is definitely a bug.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
PartyGameGuy said:
I'll give it a try but I saw in another message forum that the old sequence does not work on the new nav. I didn't see an option to change that Nav voice to not bother you when you push the button.
All I can say, is that I use the same series of key strokes to defeat the lock out in my '04 Prius as I do in my '06 Sienna -- and the units are definately different. I would strongly guess, but not be sure that all '06 Toyotas use the same Nav head unit.

For the not to have the voice propmpt; and this is off the top of my head but you should be able to also look in the manual. Go to...

Menu
Setup
go to the 2nd or 3rd page of options (I think 3rd)
it is called something like "voice recognition prompt" or maybe "assistance"
turn this off

Spike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
I bought a garmin i3 for 300 bucks. With an external antenna it works great. Obviously this only helps people who own a Prius without navigation. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
PartyGameGuy said:
The voice recognition is so much worse! It takes a long time to enter an address this way because as in 2005 and earlier voice commands you push the button and it beeps.
Since the 2005 and below did not have an option to enter addresses verbally, it couldn't possibly be worse. You can still do it the old way: type it in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Have you tried Menu - Setup - Voice Recognition Guidance (on the second page)? It worked for me, so did the old hack for disabling reverse beep and the seatbelt beep.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top