Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I run the A/C to just slightly cool the cabin air, I notice the air coming out of the vents is decidedly funky. Not so much when the A/C is working harder.

My wife recently informed me "I always think your car kinda smells." :shock: (Granted, she has a pregnancy-related super-nose lately, but still... eesh.)

Since I'm reasonably certain my personal hygiene is beyond reproach, what do I do? Is there a de-mold-ing spray I can use at the air intake, or is this a dealer service thing, or what? Would dealer service for this be under warranty or not? (I'm guessing not.)

Advice?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I think this usually indicates the condensation from the condenser is not draining the way it should. I don't know exactly where you should look for the drain, though.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I hate to bring up this possibility, but there could be something dead in the system...a mouse, a small squirrel, or a few large insects.

Definitely take it into the dealer and get it checked.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't like the smell on any AC if it starts on recirc, and that includes the Prius. We got the dealer to change the default so the AC doesn't select recirc everytime you turn it on and its no longer a problem.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I try to turn my AC off just before I garage the car. It cuts down on the slight mildew-y smell when I next start the car. I don't find the odor lasts long, though.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
There was a post that Melgish started. I could have sworn the work funky was used in that thread.

Pete really needs to do a reindex on the search engine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm always complaining to my husband that his Prius smells. In fact it does seem to be a uriney smell...or maybe like an old horse barn. Maybe there's tiny horses really running the battery....

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
PriusNH said:
I'm always complaining to my husband that his Prius smells. In fact it does seem to be a uriney smell...or maybe like an old horse barn. Maybe there's tiny horses really running the battery....
What you might be smelling is the out gassing from the foam in the upholstery.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I have heard that running the A/C all the time (in any car) leads to less odor. This is supposed to be because running the A/C keeps the system dehumidified and constantly ventilated so no mold or mildew really grows. I run the A/C constantly in all of the cars I have ever had and have not had any smell like I notice in my friends cars who only use the A/C sparingly.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thomme said:
Whenever I run the A/C to just slightly cool the cabin air, I notice the air coming out of the vents is decidedly funky. Not so much when the A/C is working harder.

Advice?
Take your feet off the dash. :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Astrowoman said:
I try to turn my AC off just before I garage the car. It cuts down on the slight mildew-y smell when I next start the car. I don't find the odor lasts long, though.
Agreed. Here in SOUTH FLORIDA, one tends to run the A/C all the time, but as of late, with the 'cooler' temps (re: 70's), I have not had to run it as much. And I have noticed the 'funky' smell is only when I start the car the first time, the next day. It does not repeat itself later in the day, when starting..

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Very easy to cleanse the odor bad smell from A/C. To get rid of offensive odor let do the following: Turn manually the fan speed to MAX and open the induction mode to Fresh Air, close all windows then go out side armed with the favorite aerosol deodorant can and spray into the fresh air intake.
Make sure that you discharge the whole content of the Aerosol-Deodorant can ! The deodorant will end up all trapped at the A/C filter sponge and temporary-provisionally will take care of the bad smell ! Will recommend to change the A/C filter sooner or later. I use the "Chocolate-Vanilla scented one for instance to keep cabin smelling pretty new !

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Where is the fresh air intake?

(Yes, I'm sure it's in the manual, but if someone knows off the top of their head, so much the better. I have a turkey to brine.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts