Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
This is a duplicate post to one on PriusChat.
I think it would be helpful to people to put our SUBJECTIVE evaluation of the above items on one thread.

NO comments re. Corrosion, etc.

By now all who have ordered the BTTech plate and/or spoiler have received the shipment.

I installed the plate today. After a fairly winding drive from Malibu to Oxnard and return on Rte 1 plus some city driving My opinion is the plate is obviously helpful in roll/lean control. My car had no directional problems before and none now. Just feels more "secure".

Will comment here after spoiler installation and some drive time.

Carl

·
Registered
257 Posts
Spoilers

I ALWAYS get a laugh at the rice boys that put these things on their front wheel drive cars! Don't they know that a spoiler is supposed to help push down on the rear drive wheels for more traction? All they are doing is (if the thing works anyway) lightening the front end and reducing their drive wheels traction.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Romad,

A spoiler performs an aerodynamic drag reduction function. While they may be designed to increase rear downforce, the primary goal on a street car is drag reduction. This is accomplished by creating a little back pressure for the flow over the top of the vehicle. Without the back pressure, the air would start to tumble sooner, and the area along the rear of the car with tumbling (sucking) air flow would be greater.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In my job with the Navy AirForces and through my gearhead friends, I've known a lot of aeroengineering masters students who've done a number of wind tunnel studies on cars. Although it is possible to divert the tumbling air at the back of the car with a spoiler it takes some considerable design study to get it right. Just picking a neat looking spoiler out of an ad and sticking it on the back deck gives you a 33% chance of doing anything good, a 33% chance of having no effect other than adding weight and a 33% chance of increasing drag by creating more turbulent air. Considerable work must be done to get it right.
Also, a rear spoiler doesn't necessarily decrease the front wheel down force. If the design is right, front end down force is not cantelevered off the whole car, you can increase downforce on the front and increase downforce on the rear both with good front end design.

Just OBTW for anyone who drives a truck. They did several truck tailgate down or up studies and tailgate down actually increases the turbulence just aft of the cab and increases total drag.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just OBTW for anyone who drives a truck. They did several truck tailgate down or up studies and tailgate down actually increases the turbulence just aft of the cab and increases total drag.
Then you get the "compromisers" that replace the tailgate with webbing.
Also, adding a tonneau over the bed is supposed to help a little, while putiing on a shell helps even more. The question is does the less drag with a shell offset the weight penalty?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stiffening plate/spoiler

Actually this is EXACTLY the opposite of why I started the thread. Want ACTUAL experience of people who have used either/both.
Just trying to help others who may be interested in PRIUS mod. not theory, trucks etc.
Two replys in PriusChat are right on point.
Thank You,
Carl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts