Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The steering on my '04 is very stiff. The wheel won't return to neutral when I turn it a small amount (like making small corrections on the highway). Does anyone have a solution to this ---Toyota doesn't! (I had the front end aligned, and the tires are 42/40.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Probably the next step would be to consult a different Toyota service shop and have the system checked again. Alignment and to some degree, tire pressure, will affect the feel of the steering. If you can, test drive another Prius so you will have more information when expalining to the service tech how your car is reacting. The feel of the steering will be subjective but the alignment should be able to be altered to acheive more of what you are expecting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. The Toyota regional rep drove it and agreed with me about the steering problem. The only suggestion he had was to increase the caster (which you can't on a Prius!). I drove another Prius and it did the same thing. Is this "normal"? I don't see any posts on this from other owners, so I have to assume that isn't normal. What would be my next step?

·
Registered
35 Posts
You may want to contact Julian Edgar at http://www.autospeed.com. He has a thread going on the Prius Technical Group describing extensive steering and handling modifications he has made to his Classic Prius. He may be able to give you some pointers for improving the feel of the new Prius and some further contacts for components.

G

·
0 Posts
Replaced P/S rack assembly

My 2001 Prius had 44628 miles on it when it had "a violent shutter in the steering wheel intermittently and made loud grinding noise" (on the ticket). They replaced the rack assembly and the link assy, electric which was covered by the extended 100,000 mile warranty. If it had not been, it would have cost $ 2878.61 plus the car rental which was also free.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Re: Replaced P/S rack assembly

Liz said:
My 2001 Prius had 44628 miles on it when it had "a violent shutter in the steering wheel intermittently and made loud grinding noise" (on the ticket). They replaced the rack assembly and the link assy, electric which was covered by the extended 100,000 mile warranty. If it had not been, it would have cost $ 2878.61 plus the car rental which was also free.
It would've been covered for free from Toyota anyways. Earlier this year Toyota issued letters to 2001 and some 2002 Prius owners announcing an extended warranty on shudders/vibration in the power steering rack. Coverage is 5 years/unlimited miles.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... sage/74446

1 - 6 of 6 Posts