Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the R3 and R4 plugs from the stereo. The first thing I noticed is that they are on the left side of the stereo with R3 to the far left. The diagram of the locations in the wiring diagram I downloaded from TIS show them on the right side with R3 on the far right.

But here is the important question. R4 has an extra wire not shown on the diagram. It is in pin position 5 and is White/Black. Pin 6 next to it is Yellow and matches the diagram for RL- speaker... What does it do? I may have to remake my harness now as I did not include it in my Y harness for my stereo upgrade.

P.S. According to the replacement "Y" harness from Metra part # 71-1761 it is a "grounding dimmer".

P.S.S. Found another wire not on the diagram. It is on R3 and is pin #10 and is Dark Green (not the Light Green pin #1 which is FR+ speaker). On the metra cable replacement it is marked "Dimmer"

Any idea what these two wires actually are and if they are needed as part of the harness?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
First off, whenever asking about audio questions, you must state JBL or non-JBL.

Left and right is relative. By left, do you mean driver side when you face the installed radio? That indeed would be on the right in the diagram, as the terminal diagram is from the perspective of facing the back of the radio, which can only be done practically when it is removed.
Loosening a bolt is only counter-clockwise from the perspective of facing the face of the bolt. If you were facing the threaded end of the bolt, you would turn clockwise from your perspective.

Ground wires are almost always white with black stripe, and I have yet to find a white wire with black stripe not being a ground wire. Therefore I would conclude that your phantom wire is a ground wire.

Looking at the wireing diagram, it does indeed seem Pin 5 on R4 (B) is undocumented. They claim ground is coming from a brown wire on pin 7 of connector R3(A).

I'll take a quick look at the repair manual diagnostic section that shows the terminal connections.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Ah-HA! Got the answer.

R4-5 is Illumination-, which in the wiring diagram, would only show up under the Illumination section, or the comprehensive schematic.

Checked the taillight and Illumination section, sure enough R4(B) pin 5 is ill- and is indeed white with black stripe.

I hate when they do that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DanMan32 said:
First off, whenever asking about audio questions, you must state JBL or non-JBL.

Left and right is relative. By left, do you mean driver side when you face the installed radio? That indeed would be on the right in the diagram, as the terminal diagram is from the perspective of facing the back of the radio, which can only be done practically when it is removed.
Loosening a bolt is only counter-clockwise from the perspective of facing the face of the bolt. If you were facing the threaded end of the bolt, you would turn clockwise from your perspective.

Ground wires are almost always white with black stripe, and I have yet to find a white wire with black stripe not being a ground wire. Therefore I would conclude that your phantom wire is a ground wire.

Looking at the wireing diagram, it does indeed seem Pin 5 on R4 (B) is undocumented. They claim ground is coming from a brown wire on pin 7 of connector R3(A).

I'll take a quick look at the repair manual diagnostic section that shows the terminal connections.
The perspective I am talking about is from looking at the front of the radio, so left is the drivers side. In the wiring connector locations in the manual I downloaded from TIS, it shows the connectors opposite of what they actually are. The diagram is also from the same perspective of drivers side is left and facing the dash. Here is the diagram with the connectors R3, R4, and R5 identified by color highlight. This is the exact opposite of the way they are.

Sorry about not ID'ing JBL or Non-JBL.

So what about pin #10 on R3 - also illumination?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Pin 10 on R3 is Ill+.

The terminal diagram in the audio diagnostics section (page 5-1781) is from the perspective of viewing the radio rear, straight on. This would put the sockets in the following order: R3,R4, aux, R5 where R3 is on the passenger side when installed, and R5 is on the driver's side installed. This corrolates with the diagram you posted.

See page 181 of the wiring diagram for the illumination connections that include the radio. Unfortunately the comprehensive wiring diagram at the end of the wiring diagram manual also separates the illumination terminals on the radio from the rest of them. The repair manual shows them all, at least all of them that are used by the Prius.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DanMan32 said:
Pin 10 on R3 is Ill+.

The terminal diagram in the audio diagnostics section (page 5-1781) is from the perspective of viewing the radio rear, straight on. This would put the sockets in the following order: R3,R4, aux, R5 where R3 is on the passenger side when installed, and R5 is on the driver's side installed. This corrolates with the diagram you posted.

See page 181 of the wiring diagram for the illumination connections that include the radio. Unfortunately the comprehensive wiring diagram at the end of the wiring diagram manual also separates the illumination terminals on the radio from the rest of them. The repair manual shows them all, at least all of them that are used by the Prius.

But when installed, the opposite positions for R3, R4, and R5 are true. R3 and R4 are on the drivers side and R5 is on the passanger side.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
look, when the radio is installed, R5 is on the driver side, and R3 is on the passenger side. Now, if you were to remove the radio, and look at the terminal sockets from the rear of the radio, with the front of the radio facing out towards the front of the car, then R3 would be on the drivers side, and R5 on the passenger side. Remember, the radio is 3 dimetional.

However, if you could look behind the radio while it was installed, then the driver side would be on YOUR right, and so would R5. The difference is, are you facing the FRONT of the radio, or the BACK? The terminal diagram on page 05-1781 is assuming facing the BACK of the radio, while the diagram you posted assumes you are facing the FRONT of the radio, installed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DanMan32 said:
look, when the radio is installed, R5 is on the driver side, and R3 is on the passenger side. Now, if you were to remove the radio, and look at the terminal sockets from the rear of the radio, with the front of the radio facing out towards the front of the car, then R3 would be on the drivers side, and R5 on the passenger side. Remember, the radio is 3 dimetional.

However, if you could look behind the radio while it was installed, then the driver side would be on YOUR right, and so would R5. The difference is, are you facing the FRONT of the radio, or the BACK? The terminal diagram on page 05-1781 is assuming facing the BACK of the radio, while the diagram you posted assumes you are facing the FRONT of the radio, installed.
I know all that. The diagram I posted is incorrect. While facing the radio while it is installed, R3 and R4 are on the drivers side and R5 is on the passanger side along side the AUX input used for both my AIC-100i and XM radio.

Have you physically pulled yours? I have and R3 and R4 are on the opposite side of the diagram - they are on the drivers side.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I have JBL so I wouldn't have an R3/R$ combination. I'd have an R6. on one side, the aux port on the other, and R5 in the middle.

But I may have misunderstood your posts all this time.
So what you are saying is, that when facing the back of the radio after pulling it out, R5 is on the left, and R3/R4 is on the right?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DanMan32 said:
I have JBL so I wouldn't have an R3/R$ combination. I'd have an R6. on one side, the aux port on the other, and R5 in the middle.

So what you are saying is, that when facing the back of the radio after pulling it out, R5 is on the left, and R3/R4 is on the right?
Yes.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Stupid question...

Did you flip the radio upside-down while removing it?

That would account for connecters on the back being swapped left/right.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
melgish said:
Stupid question...

Did you flip the radio upside-down while removing it?

That would account for connecters on the back being swapped left/right.
I didn't remove the radio at all. I removed the R3 and R4 cables by reaching from the right side vent and glovebox. First I removed R5 from the right side thinking it was one of either R3 or R4. But the wiring did not match any of them but did match R5. Then I started looking for R3 and R4 with my hand and then a mirror and flashlight. Since R5 was on the right side, I suspected R3 and R4 must be on the opposite side. I found them and pulled them and confirmed them with the wiring diagram. R3 is also right next to the antenna connection on the left side.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
OWE :oops:

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Are you left-handed?
Do you live "down under"?
Do you have a different "orientation" than most people"
?dislexic you are
;-)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
ScubaX said:
DanMan32 said:

Yes.
ScubaX said:
I didn't remove the radio at all.
So, you lied to me. You never faced the back of the radio.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
DanMan32 said:
ScubaX said:
Dan, you're jumping to conclusions... maybe ScubaX is really, really tiny and crawled inside the dash with a flashight :wink:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DanMan32 said:
ScubaX said:
DanMan32 said:

Yes.
ScubaX said:
I don't know what you mean by "lied" to you. I looked at the back with a flash light and mirror and physically pulled the cables and installed my "Y" cable into the radio's left side while facing the radio. I also pulled the R5 cable next to the AUX on the right side and examinded it and all three cables against the wiring diagram.

What do I have to do, take a picture for you people?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"What do I have to do, take a picture for you people?"

Maybe a little tact might help. A little "Miss Manners" advice for you: phrases like "you people" are not frequently associated with tact.

But then "we people" might just choose not to help anyway. After all, you're getting exactly what you paid for.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
KTPhil said:
"What do I have to do, take a picture for you people?"

Maybe a little tact might help. A little "Miss Manners" advice for you: phrases like "you people" are not frequently associated with tact.

But then "we people" might just choose not to help anyway. After all, you're getting exactly what you paid for.
So I was tactfully called a liar?

And your help consisted of these tactful statements:

Are you left-handed?
Do you live "down under"?
Do you have a different "orientation" than most people"
?dislexic you are
Wink
I guess there are no dyslexic's, left handed people or those of different ""orientation" than most people" that would be offended by those tactful statements.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Everyone else saw my post as adding humor. Only someone with a huge chip on their shoulder would take it as an insult. They saw the smiley you missed (and slyly edited out of your quote of my post).

Try your attitude at a dealer, see how far you get.

Or try hooking the mystery wire to one of those fat orange ones and prove Darwin right.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts