Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post to this board. Hoping you guys could help me out some.

I was planning a month or so ago to buy an OmniFi DMP1 for my current car, which is a 2001 Ford Focus. In order to hook it up, I needed a new head unit with RCA AUX inputs.

When I opened my birthday presents last night, I found out that my girlfriend bought me the new head unit, an Insignia that plays MP3 CDs and has an AUX input to hook up the DMP1.

In the meantime (after she bought the head unit but before I found out about it), I preordered a Package #6 Prius, which comes with the JBL stereo and 6-disc changer. When it comes in, I will have 2 head units to choose from.

Since my GF was thoughtful enough to get me the head unit and even a 4-year service contract, which I'm sure wasn't inexpensive, I feel obligated to use it, but I'm totally unsure how I should go about this.

First of all, is the JBL integrated in any "special" way into the Prius MFD or bluetooth capabilities? Does it play MP3 CDs?

I was thinking that it might be possible to build a secondary enclosure to house the Insignia head unit and the DMP1, running the Insignia as an AUX input to the JBL and the DMP1 as the AUX input to the Insignia. Seems like a waste, though...

Any ideas or options for anybody? I'm stuck here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Prius does not play mp3 cds. Toyota should pick up on this option from their Scion people.
I replaced my stereo in my old car about a year ago and opted for a mp3 cd head unit replacement. I'm not putting this into my new Prius because it's just going to make the dash look trashy imo. Supposedly you can add any head unit to the prius in an empty space below the factory unit but it will not operate like the oem which has the steering wheel buttons and mfd selection of radio station etc. Many people have discussed adding the ipod at priuschat.com and it does allow limited operation with the steering wheel controls, but no MFD. I think the 6-disc changer has a problem where the ipod device may inactivate the 6disc changer until you restart the pruis computer --still ipod does not integrate to screen, maybe coastaltech will start selling an ipod device to do this before cell phones take over like bill gates predicted last week (dont hold your breath).

options:
1) cancel your order and pimp your focus; buy a new car in a couple years
2) return the head unit and install ipod devices in prius (see priuschat.com)
3) install the head unit in prius and mess with all kinds of wires behind the dash to eventually have inactive volume and station controls on the steering wheel and in the MFD. (see priuschat.com)

good luck :D

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
You say you are getting the JBL option. The header provides the audio source at fixed line level, which is passed to the amp. The MFD controls the details of the header as well as the volume, fade, balance, and EQ at the amp. You can't have the header without the amp, though you MIGHT be able to have the amp without the header, if the replacement header has fixed line level output. However, unless it has AVC control, it won't integrate with the MFD, and won't have steering control. As a matter of fact, I believe even the NAV steering controls go through the header. The INFO, MAP, offhook/onhook and voice recognition buttons on the steering are undocumented in the repair and wiring diagram, but assumed to be an extension of the audio controls.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts