Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A thought that popped into my head today! Since the Prius has electric assist steering, how long before the steering wheel is left off and we drive it with a joystick like we see on powered wheel chairs?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Have you ever tried to drive a car with a joystick? I have, it ain't easy. I prefer a wheel.

jflowerus said:
A thought that popped into my head today! Since the Prius has electric assist steering, how long before the steering wheel is left off and we drive it with a joystick like we see on powered wheel chairs?

·
Registered
515 Posts
A wonderful benefit of the drive-by-wire design is for those with disabilities. The can have a custom interface created for their unique need. Think about it.

No key.

Shifting via button.

Steering via joystick.

Braking via slide-lever.

Cool, eh?

·
Registered
190 Posts
You know, in Japan they sell several optional items that are designed to aid the handicapped including a special loading front seat. It's impressive for a company to do that if you ask me.

john1701a said:
A wonderful benefit of the drive-by-wire design is for those with disabilities. The can have a custom interface created for their unique need. Think about it.

No key.

Shifting via button.

Steering via joystick.

Braking via slide-lever.

Cool, eh?

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Joel said:
You know, in Japan they sell several optional items that are designed to aid the handicapped including a special loading front seat. It's impressive for a company to do that if you ask me.
You're referring to the Toyota WelCab program:
http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_to ... elcab.html

Alternately, in the US, Toyota has a
reimbursement program for the
installation of adaptive equipment
for either drivers or passengers of
new Toyota vehicles via the
Toyota Mobility program.
http://www.toyota.com/html/mobility/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts