Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 01 Prius has a steeting problem. It shakes while backing up or going around a corner. I took it to my dealership. They claimed the "electrical steering went out." Thank goodness it is still under warranty--it is a $4,000 part! Right now I have a loaner car until it is fixed. Has any else had the steering go out? I hope this is the only bug in my Prius.

lkhust

·
Registered
81 Posts
I remember reading some posts a while back about steering problems while backing up or going forward slowly. '91 model. I think it was the biggest problem the Prius has had.
I'm sure someone else has more information about it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Re: Steering problem

Your steering issue sounds similar to the one I recently had in my '02 Prius (same symptoms.) Mine was fixed under warranty. Personally I recommend getting yours fixed ASAP -- a problem with the steering system is a potentially a safety issue.

Refer to the thread here at:
http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

My Prius steering has been perfect since the repair. Cheers!

- Peter
"MO MPG" CA

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rack & Pinion Replacement

This seems to be a common problem. We had ours replaced under warranty on our 2001. Friends of ours have had theirs replaced TWICE on their 2002.

It is expensive....so do consider an extended warranty! (See e-mail on this subject from a dealership under "General." We bought them for both of our cars just in case. We still love our Priuses though!

G

·
0 Posts
How woeful is the proud prius owner who is not privy to the internet for purposes of a prius users group. Heck, I would say that many drivea half rs simply buy a car and do not necessarily join a user's group related to their car. There is no doubt to me that the prius is a special car but there are many other very expensive cars that special and rare in their own right.

The seemingly small, yet consistent problems, that plaged the 2001-2003 prius are no longer a mystery to those that peruse the Prius usergroups. The rather consistency of the particular front-end problems (steering wheel, rack, tire wear) seem close to inevitable. While some may be greatful that their problem surfaced before the expiration of the warranty (36K), what fate is beholding to those that are not furtunate to encounter the problem before that milepost. Furthermore, for those current owners who have had their rack replaced (some twice), what feeling will you get should yous fail again just outside of the warranty period.

Furthermore, how straightforward has the dealership been with revealing the scopd of the front-end problems. That is, who paid for the tires and alignment once the problem was discovered past the 1 year 12k miles point. If you did, it may seem like a small price to pay to maintain the attributes that was te marketing pitch "you look smart, you should be driving a prius". It you had known and had been fortunate to act earlier, you may have felt smarter. Are any of your steering wheels slightly off center but have not made an issue of it?

These problems should have been recognized by toyota (I believe they were) and addressed so as to avoid these eventualities. It should not be left you you to stumble upon, lament, and then be placing you in a role to find someone's son or daughter to pass afficted car onto. It will cost them more than the gas savings and may cost you more to your inner person.

Don't mistakenly blame the dealership.

·
Registered
928 Posts
My Toyota dealer replaced my power steering at my 67,500 mile service. Not because I had any problems with it or asked about it, but because Toyota has a service bulletin out suggesting (requiring?) it be replaced. The work was done at no cost to me even though I'm out of warranty on everything except the battery and hybrid parts.

So it appears that Toyota is addressing the issue for everybody, not just those who follow the Prius groups.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
RSnyder said:
My Toyota dealer replaced my power steering at my 67,500 mile service. Not because I had any problems with it or asked about it, but because Toyota has a service bulletin out suggesting (requiring?) it be replaced. The work was done at no cost to me even though I'm out of warranty on everything except the battery and hybrid parts.

So it appears that Toyota is addressing the issue for everybody, not just those who follow the Prius groups.
Robert, didn't you get your Prius
back in 2000 (one of the early ones)?

There was a small batch of the early
2001 model year Prius that were subject
to the (only so far) recall, for
the power steering rack.
Does your VIN fall into the recall
group?
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-pr ... g%20Recall

There is also a Limited Service Campaign
for the EMPS ECU (not a recall):
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... sage/59107

·
Registered
928 Posts
I followed the original recall and Pikachu did not qualify by either month of manufacture or VIN. He was built in 8/00.

I dug up the service invoice and it looks like you're right that the part replaced was the ECU.

Here's the description (not that I know how to read it).

Concern 25 Perform SCC 30D-PRIUS Power Steering E.C.U. - CH
Part held under customer name in pts. dept. (not by my request so they must have anticipated this). Operation 30D Tech 141 Hours .6 Amount 46.50.
Cause: Performed (??? Guess they had to fill in the blank with something.)
Correction: Replaced Power Steering E.C.U.
Comment: Lab.Op. 3601D1=.6
Part Number: TOY 89650-47072
Description: Computer Assy. Power
Qty: 1
Sell: 252.08 Amount 252.08
Parts: Count 1
Factory Claim Type: SC
T2 Code: 99
T1 Code: 99
Type: W

Subtotal
Parts 365.52 (??? I don't see any accounting for the other 113.44)
Lab-Mechanical 46.50
Total Charge for Concern 412.02
Fac Warranty 412.02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts