Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had problems with their steering rack? I have a 2002. Teh steering rack was replaced at 20,000 miles on warranty and now needs replacing again. There is a definite vibration in the steering column and it was diagnosed as " steering rack has an internal open circuit at times and SI losing signal to power steering" So then I was informed that the replacement part costs and labor will be $3689.25! Does anyone out there think this is incredibly expensive for a single part, not an entire engine? I feel I have no alternative if I want to keep driving but to pay to replace this part. Any ideas?
:shock: Linda

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some good news about the steering rack. Toyota agreed to pay for the expensive part if I pay for the labor. At least there is some understanding on the part of Toyota that specialized and expensive defective parts will drive some potential Prius buyers away if the company does not provide some help.
:D Linda

·
Registered
54 Posts
Some good news about the steering rack. Toyota agreed to pay for the expensive part if I pay for the labor. At least there is some understanding on the part of Toyota that specialized and expensive defective parts will drive some potential Prius buyers away if the company does not provide some help.
:D Linda
The infamous steering rack problem is not solely relegated to early models 2001s as touted by many. There are numerous posts on this and the yahoo site relating to failing rack, the expense of the repair, and the prediction (to some degeee) that the rack will start fialing and be expensive. Toyota should foot the entire bill. Search on rack and setering a look at 2003 posts in particular. You may see that your situation was near predictable! Woe be to the uninformed, uninsured (no extended warranty), or deal seeking used Prius purchaser faced with a failed rack occurring just after 36K. (check your tires for wear)

Make sure they FIXIT, if they truly can as opposed to buying short time. Your next 16-20 K miles may be a year and a half away so start saving to buy another rack (and tires/alignment).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hmmmm

My rack was replaced just lat week.... on a 2001. It has done 30k miles. Now it makes a funny noise with the engine, almost like more sound is leaking though to the drivers compartment from the engine than before the rack was changed. Anyone noticed that??

S

·
Registered
86 Posts
One other thing.... What is the technical reason/details of the steering rack failure issue?

S

·
Registered
54 Posts
Best I can recall from very early on was a default assumption was allowed to develop whereby the best guess was a bad production batch. I quickly dropped that assumption and do not recall hearing any technical explinations. My subsequent assumpton was that since the problem was that since enough reported incidences and replacements were being known and paid for by Toyota, had it been a poorly designed rack or batch, that the replacements would be modified/FIXED replacements. Since the failures continued to the 2002 and 2003 models, and the alignment and tire wear problems were occurring squarely on the front, it would seem like with a assembly, quality, or design problem. These problems are interrelated but we here treated them as somewhat unrelated issues. So, is the design stressing the rack or is the failing rack causing the alignment and tire problems.

Or is it that the now apparent problem is simply a managable risk by Toyota. Watch the exetended rack warranty be extended to the late models 2002s and 2003s.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts