Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I took my new Prius up a steep gravel road for the first time. The front wheels started slipping a skosh (just a teensy bit). To my dismay the car kicked on it's protective mode (sorry I forget what it's called). I barely made it up there! I suppose that feature must be enabled to protect the hybrid system?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The effect you're describing sounds like traction control (TC). Like ABS, one has to know how to properly deal with it. I believe what many people are doing is reflexively letting go of the accelerator rather than being consistent or backing off slightly but still demanding power from the car.

·
Registered
991 Posts
If you continue to accelerate, and it regains traction, it will just keep going.. it feels weird, but it works. Sometimes I take a wet turn a little too fast, it only stops a split second and regains acceleration..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think the 1 mph will work for many gravel road situations. If the gradient increases, you need some momentum to get through it (until the gradient reduces). It's not quite the same as driving on ice because you are unlikely to slip sideways or spin out. The problems are always on the steep hills and never on level roads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.