Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for steel wheels to mount winter tires on. Someone posted here a couple of months ago that Tirerack.com had them. Unfortunately I didn't act on it and now they're on backorder and won't be available for at least this year. Anyone know if they're available elsewhere?

·
Registered
582 Posts
steel wheels

Suggest you contact Ryan

[email protected]

800-576-1009

Last I heard, he did have both 15" steel wheels (new Prius) and 14" (classic Prius).

BTW if you need tires as well, the "Prius Nokian group tire buy" is still on until the 31st. :wink:

DAS

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
That group buy is a good thing. I won't be taking advantage of it this year, but maybe next. I don't plan on doing a lot of winter driving with the Prius. I dig out my older car for the more risky driveing season.

However, you can pick up steel wheels at just about any tire store out there. Tirerack might be backordered, however here is another approach. Buy your tires from tirerack and then find a local tire shop and buy your steels from them. Because you actually purchased something from them, they might mount your rubber to the steels you purchase from them for no additional cost.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: steel wheels

tochatihu said:
Last I heard, he did have both 15" steel wheels (new Prius) and 14" (classic Prius).

BTW if you need tires as well, the "Prius Nokian group tire buy" is still on until the 31st. :wink:

DAS
Tochatihu,
Thanks for responding and also your dedicated work in coordinating the Nokian group buy. Tirefactory does have the steel rims available. But I'm not sure I want them. They are a bit pricy at $65 each (if I have it right, the Tirerack price was $128/set of 4). Also, although apparently not a problem, these wheels are multibolt (10 bolt holes rather than 5) to fit different configurations.

As to the tire type, here in Vermont, 2 dealers both recommend the Hakkapeliitta 2 rather than the RSi. I understand that the RSi is a low rolling resistance tire which is best suited for a Prius from the standpoint of maximizing mileage. But the "2" is a pure winter tire with a more aggressive tread--yeah noisier too--but my #1 priority is traction. I can get the "2" in Vermont for $100/ea.

I think I might wait unitl next year to go with steel wheels when they are more available.

Jeromep,
Steel wheels for the Prius seem hard to come by locally and on the Net as I've found only Tirefactory to have them available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
About a month ago I purchased four steel wheels for the '05 Prius from New England Wheels (http://www.neww.com/). I believe the price was $48 ea. They didn't have a large inventory, but still had some left after my purchase.

They were dealer take offs, but since so many cars now come with alloy wheels, I'd guess the steel wheel aftermarket from this type of source is getting smaller all the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you are in the Toronto area then Steelcase Tires'N'Mags is a good source for Toyota OEM wheels. I got Corolla 15" wheels (compatible with 2nd gen Prius) for C$42.50 each in September. I got that price from the owner, but I got the impression they usually sell them for more.

FYI, they supply Toyota steel wheels to a lot of the local Toyota dealers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts