1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was just posted on MSNBC:

Prius cars may have stalling problem

Toyota will notify about 75,000 hybrid owners of potential glitch

DETROIT - Toyota Motor Corp. said Thursday it will notify about 75,000 Prius owners in the United States about a potential software glitch that may cause the popular hybrid cars to suddenly stall or shut down.

Toyota said the problem may cause warning lights in the cars to illuminate. That can prompt the vehicles to enter a "fail safe" mode that may cause their gasoline engines to stall.

Hybrid vehicles twin a gasoline engine with an electric motor and batteries to boost fuel economy.

Toyota spokeswoman Allison Takahashi said that, if the gasoline engine stalls, the electric motor in the vehicles will have enough power to allow the driver to pull the vehicle over and away from the traffic.

The vehicles involved in the Toyota service action are from the 2004 and 2005 model years.

The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has received a number of complaints about the hybrid vehicles stalling or stopping unexpectedly, often on highways.

Toyota will be sending out letters asking customers to take the cars to a dealership for free repairs, Takahashi said.

No recall notice has been issued, she added.

Toyota sold 53,991 Prius cars in 2004 and 81,042 so far this year. There is usually a waiting list to buy the vehicle, which gets as much 60 miles per gallon of gasoline.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Interesting: warning lights causing the car to shut down. Seems like the fix would be to have the car ignore the lights like people do...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sales of '04-'05 models reached 75,000 in early February 2005. So unless it's a package-specific issue (which seems unlikely given the numbers involved), or somehow you got a Prius that had been sitting on a lot for a few weeks, your car should be fine if you got it in mid-February or later.

(We got our Prius on Feb. 9! :roll:)

·
Registered
919 Posts
hyperion said:
I'll let you know when I get my letter.
Otherwise, I'll treat the whole thing like WMD.
Now that made me laugh, hyperion. Problem is, we all believed in WMD's for a long while. Hope you don't get that letter and your car remains on the go and of course, full of gas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm sure all those evil hybrid haters will have a field day with this report.

It would have been helpful if the article mention the VIN numbers.

=)

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
hyperion said:
Hi Hyperion, Educate me please. What is "WMD" acronym stands for ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looking forward to the recall

I got my 2004 delivered in March of 2004. One time it stalled, couldn't get it started, had it towed to the dealer (it was about 3 months old), they said they did some software patch/upgrade.

Happened again several months later, but I was able to pull over safely and it started on its own after a while.

And then one more time. And the dealer couldn't find anything wrong with it afterwards.

I, for one, am looking forward to hopefully getting this problem fixed and not having to worry about it again.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
C.Rickey Hirose said:
hyperion said:

C. Rickey, WMD is "weapons of mass destruction". Nuclear, germ, or chemical weapons used to kill huge numbers of people at a time. The belief that Sadam possessed or was making WMDs was the main justification that President Bush used to overthrow the government of Iraq. Of course it turned out to be wrongly believed.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
new SSC coming for 2004-2005 Prius!

Oct. 13 2005 Special Service Campaign:
http://toyota.jp/recall/campaign/051013.html

Here is the Babelfish translation (pre-mortar = Prius, NHW20 is the model designation for the 2004-? Prius):

Service campaign of pre- mortar

Concerning the portion of the regular use car of the pre- mortar, from 2005 October 13th, service campaign of the below-mentioned contents (no charge repair) we had decided to execute.

1. Phenomenon of vehicle
(1) There are times when the inhalation air quantity at the time of engine starting decreases temporarily, as fail-safe function working with engine rpm decrease, the warning light lights up, there are times when it
becomes motor travelling.
(2) There are times when the moisture comes in contact with the terminal of the rotary sensor connector for the generator inside the trance axle, as fail-safe function working with resistance change, the warning light lights up, there are times when it becomes motor travelling.

2. Contents of improvement
(1) The program of all vehicle and the engine control computer is corrected.
(2) The grease for waterproofing is applied to all vehicle and the particular connector)

3. Object vehicle
ZA-NHW20
DAA-NHW20
Pre- mortar

NHW20-0001002 - NHW20-0130298 2003 August 1st - 2004 October 13th (1)(2)
NHW20-0130301 - NHW20-0133242 2004 September 23rd - 2004 October 12th (1)
NHW20-3000002 - NHW20-3013252 2004 September 30th - 2004 November 16th (1)
NHW20-7000000 - NHW20-7003412 2004 October 6th - 2004 November 20th (1)

Note:1. Because also the vehicle which does not become the object is included in the range of the under carriage number where the object car is included, please inquire at the Toyota store of the vicinity concerning details.
2. Production period of the object car differs from the time of purchase.

Doing to apply annoyance, there is no excuse truly in everyone of regular use, but making guide from the Toyota store, because it receives, ahead of time, it comes to the pre- mortar handling store of the vicinity and reservation receives store day and time, inspection repair (no charge) to receive that it receives, it asks.

We apologize to everyone of regular use from thing and the heart which very much applied annoyance.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
It is in the state of contentment that I receive this information of automobile nature to be coming from mrv.

:)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Re: new SSC coming for 2004-2005 Prius!

mrv said:
(2) There are times when the moisture comes in contact with the terminal of the rotary sensor connector for the generator inside the trance axle, as fail-safe function working with resistance change, the warning light lights up, there are times when it becomes motor travelling.
I'd very much like to know how many vehicles have been affected by this. Mine was, as were a few other early 2004s, and Toyota claimed that they fixed it very early on. Now it looks as if they may have lied about that.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Jonnycat26 said:
I'd very much like to know how many vehicles have been affected by this. Mine was, as were a few other early 2004s, and Toyota claimed that they fixed it very early on. Now it looks as if they may have lied about that.
According to the article in the initial post above, there are about 75000 vehicles involved. There is an updated article here http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9686049/

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Hep said:
C.Rickey Hirose said:
hyperion said:

C. Rickey, WMD is "weapons of mass destruction". Nuclear, germ, or chemical weapons used to kill huge numbers of people at a time. The belief that Sadam possessed or was making WMDs was the main justification that President Bush used to overthrow the government of Iraq. Of course it turned out to be wrongly believed.
Thank you , Hep. WMD, we have to get rid of all kind of WMD starting with
the NUKE and Chemical Bio-Weapon and the rest.

·
Registered
420 Posts

Jonnycat26 said:
mrv said:
I hope you'll at least consider the possibility that Toyota didn't lie, but was simply mistaken. (See "WMD"! :twisted:)

·
Registered
919 Posts
C.Rickey Hirose said:
Hep said:
[quote="C.Rickey Hirose":3oiziesx]
hyperion said:

Thank you , Hep. WMD, we have to get rid of all kind of WMD starting with
the NUKE and Chemical Bio-Weapon and the rest.[/quote:3oiziesx]
Do you mean ours as well?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The campaign has not yet been posted on Techinfo, at least not the US one.

I guess the 2nd reason for the campaign might be the cause of the car dieing without a DTC that a few have experienced, though a DTC should really be recorded any time either warning light illuminates.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts