Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late last week our 2004BC had the classic stall problem we've all been reading about (MIL and a bunch of lights coming on, ICE not running, clears in 3-5 restarts). Was able to get it to the dealer today. Some tidbits:
  • The dealer had to perform the SSC 40D reprogramming on it. Which brings up a question -- is 40D something dealers should have installed as a matter of course on routine service visits or only something to install if there's already some major problem? I ask because the previous dealer (the one who was so atrocious over the headlight problem) never did 40D nor even mentioned it and I'm curious how (un)reasonable such an attitude was.
    [/*:m:32bh054u]
  • The calibration was to be updated from 34702200 to 34705100. I've seen some online threads here and there where people have complained that recalibrations have very noticibly decreased milage. Anyone here who has been through a recalibration seen a noticeable milage drop?
    [/*:m:32bh054u]
  • Dealer said he's had a bunch of Priuses in with the stalling problem (some towed in) in the past couple of weeks. He hypothesizes it has something to do with the high heat and humidity we've been having during that time. [/*:m:32bh054u]

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
40D should have been done long ago. That was a campaign. Lets put it this way: My car was built in June, purchased in August, and it already had 40D.

The calibration reprogramming is usually only done when you have a problem, though some dealers will do it for you pro-actively.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Then your car should have already had 40D.

4D was require for VINs in the range:
KB20U 40001086 – 40053733
KB22U 40001142 – 40053728

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not in that range. Interesting.

Does applying SSC 40D to a car that isn't "supposed" to have it hurt anything?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
No, as I don't think the scanner would allow it.

"Hey stupid, the car already has the update".
Now some of the recalibration TSBs might need to be applied, though they normally are only applied if there's a problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My Prius (11/03 build) just had the stalling problem at 50,000 miles last month. The SSC 40D was done last July 2004.

This is what was on the service report:

Has code P3191 and POAOF. Engine failed to start. Reprogrammed Prius engine ECU - TSBEG47-04 OP#EG4017.

Service man told me they only do this if the owner reports a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
WDIN said:
My Prius (11/03 build) just had the stalling problem at 50,000 miles last month. The SSC 40D was done last July 2004.

This is what was on the service report:

Has code P3191 and POAOF. Engine failed to start. Reprogrammed Prius engine ECU - TSBEG47-04 OP#EG4017.

Service man told me they only do this if the owner reports a problem.
Yes, a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is something sent to dealer techs, to help them resolve common problems or provide more information than what's in the repair manuals. Repairs are only done if the vehicle needs it (certain owner complaint, or certain error codes come up (check engine light).
The TSB EG047-04 is fairly common, and I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a service campaign in the future (owners get mailed about bringing their cars in.)
Feb. 22, 2005 revision of Oct. 18, 2004, M.I.L. "ON" DTC P3191, P3190,
AND/OR P0A0F, 2004-2005 Prius. Replaces TSB EG02704. (engine does not
restart - reprogram the Engine and HV Hybrid ECU after performing the
SSC 40D reprogramming.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts