Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a mailing from Toyota stating that my 2004 is due for the SSC 40D upgrade. here's a text copy of the mailing:

White 6"x9" envelope (printed on 50% recycled paper/10% post consumer waste), with window for name/address and a bar code. Big red letters in a red box on front stating:
"SSC 40D - 2004 MY TOYOTA PRIUS HYBRID VEHICLE ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTIC"
Return address is:
Red Toyota logo
--------------
[Black text]
Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
No General Correspondence
P.O. Box 710367
San Diego, CA 92171-0367

The card with your address on it:
above your address/bar code, there's a little sticker (SSC, Date, Dealer
Code No., PN: 00410-01917) with big bold print saying "DO NOT REMOVE THIS LABEL, FOR DEALER USE ONLY"
Attached is a card to notify Toyota, with little fill-in boxes:
1. Same owner, name and/or address changed
2. Same owner, additional driver
3. New owner
4. no longer have vehicle - sold to individual listed below
5. Exported
6. Destroyed/stolen

The Letter. One side is in English, the other in Spanish. also printed on recycled paper, same content as envelope. here is the English version:
<quote>
SSC 40D - 2004 MODEL YEAR PRIUS HYBRID VEHICLE ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTIC SPECIAL
SERVICE CAMPAIGN

Dear Prius Customer:

Thank you very much for your patronage of Toyota. We are dedicated to
providing vehicles of outstanding quality and value. As part of our continuing efforts to provide superior customer satisfaction, Toyota is
announcing a Special Service Campaign Program, which includes your Prius vehicle.

* What is the condition?
On certain 2004 Model Year Toyota Prius vehicles, the Hybrid Vehicle
Electronic Control Unit (HV ECU) and Battery Electronic Control Unit
(Battery ECU) may not conform to some portions of the diagnostic tool
communication standard due to a programming error. If a repair facility's On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) scantool is used to diagnose a condition where the hybrid system warning light and/or master warning light is illuminated, the OBD scantool may not recognize the system fault.

* What will Toyota do?
Before you are inconvenienced by this condition, Toyota would like to
reprogram the ECUs in your vehicle. Any Toyota dealer will conduct this
service at NO COST to you.

* What should you do?
Please contact your authroized Toyota dealer to make an appointment to
reprogram the ECUs as soon as possible.

The labor time necessary to reprogram the ECUs is approximately one hour. However, depending upon the dealer's work schedule, it may be necessary to make your vehicle available for a longer period of time. The Toyota dealer will make every effort to assure your utmost convenience during this service.

Please present this notice to the Toyota Dealer when you bring the vehicle in for your service appointment.

In order to assure your full protection under the emission warranty
provisions, it is recommended that you have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible. Failure to do so could be determined as lack of proper
maintenance of your vehicle.

If you no longer own the vehicle, please indicate so on the enclosed postage paid form, providing us with the name and address of the new owner.

* What if you have other questions?
Your local Toyota dealer would be more than happy to answer any of your questions and set up an appointment to perform the repair. If you require further assistance, you may contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-888-270-9371 Monday through Friday, 5:00 am to 9:30 pm, Saturday and Sunday 7:00 am through 3:00 pm Pacific Standard Time.

* What if you live in California and don't have this Special Service
Campaign performed?
The State of California requires the completion of Special Service Campaigns on emission related parts prior to vehicle registration renewal. In addition, the State requires that every vehicle must pass an emissions test (SMOG check) every two years and before it is sold. Without the completion of this NO COST Special Service Campaign, your vehicle may be more likely to fail this test. State of California regulations require Toyota to provide the Department of Motor Vehicles with a record of all vehicles that have not had the Special Service Campaign completed.

Your Toyota dealer will provide you with a Vehicle Emissions Recall Proof of Correction Form after the campaign has been completed. Please ensure you retain this form since the DMV may require that you supply proof that the campaign has been complted during your vehicle registration renewal process.

We have sent this notice in the interest of your continued satisfaction with
our products, and we sincerely regret any inconvenience this condition may have caused you.

Thank you for driving the Toyota Prius.

Sincerely,
TOYOTA MOTOR SALES, U.S.A., INC.

[hybrid synergy drive logo]
</quote>

·
Registered
15 Posts
What month was your car made? Just curious, my car was made in April 2004 and I have not received such a notice. Should I expect a notice or do you think the problem has been solved since your car was manufacturerd?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I received the same notice in North Jersey. Took one hour and small minutes to have the adjustment made. cccollins/2004 Black #9

·
Registered
110 Posts
Buggman said:
What month was your car made? Just curious, my car was made in April 2004 and I have not received such a notice. Should I expect a notice or do you think the problem has been solved since your car was manufacturerd?
I called a Toyota customer number, which I don't have handy right now but could probably dig up if anyone really needed it, which connected me to a service supervisor at Toyota America. He has a list of vin numbers of affected Prii and I learned from him that my car was not on the list. I took delivery at the end of February.
So...a week ago, I got the same notice posted above, informing me that I needed to bring my car in, etc. I checked with my service dealer and told them that I had called the Toyota customer line, etc., that my car wasn't on the list. Answer is that the list is expanding as Toyota learns more about the extent of the problem. I think subsequent recalls have a different last letter in the recall code...but the problem is essentially the same: a glitch in the computer program that might allow a problem with the car to go undetected by service shop computer diagnostics.
On the other Prius chatline, some folks thought they observed a decline in mileage after having had the work done. I didn't and I don't think the recall will or should affect mileage. If you turned off your seatbelt warning beeper or your reverse gear beeper, you will need to do it again after the recall.

·
Registered
381 Posts
FYI, I turned off the backup beep prior to SSC 40D, and it didn't come back afterwards. :)

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cancel reverse beep and seat belt beep

hbark said:
Can you please describe how to turn off the reverse and seat belt warning beepers??
This might not work on a UK (European?) Prius, but wil work (give it
a few tries) on the US/Canadian 2004 Prius:

http://www.vfaq.net/FAQ-misc.html#reverse
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Pri ... tm#reverse
http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=948

for the seat belt beep: follow the procedure for the reverse beep disable, except attach and detach the seat belt instead of hitting the trip odometer switch.

although the best and safest way is to just use your seat belt in the first place.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mrv said:
Your Toyota dealer will provide you with a Vehicle Emissions Recall Proof of Correction Form after the campaign has been completed. Please ensure you retain this form since the DMV may require that you supply proof that the campaign has been complted during your vehicle registration renewal process.
We did not receive any notice from Toyota about this recall, but when I called to make an appointment for the 10,000 mile service, I was told about "a recall". They took care of it the same time they did the regular service. However, I did not receive a Vehicle Emissions Recall Proof of Correction Form (I live in CA and the car is registered here). The invoice lists that "Service Campaign #40D -- ECU Reprogrammed" was performed.

Did anyone else in CA get a special form, i.e., should I got back and request one?

Thanks,
Oliver

·
Registered
12 Posts
Many Toyota Dealers ( most I hope) run your vehicles identification number through Dealer Daily or TIS each time you visit. This gives them up-to-date info (sometimes before you recieve it) on any SSC's needed for your vehicle which may be performed at that visit. A notification of a recall after the fact can be disregarded as it will be in the systym as completed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts