Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.. the classic tale.. the dashboard is rattling. Oh, and an added plus, so is the upper glove box. And another super-plus, if you lean on the front passenger side panel/window area, it SQUEAKS.

Anyways. So I took it to the dealership this morning, checked in around 750am.. took until 830am to finally get some super Japanesy shop forum to do a test drive with me. Well, since rattles and squeaks suck to replicate.. seems the mice and snakes hide when its showtime.. I got the side window squeak to replicate, and I got the dash to replicate.. but not the glove box.

So at least Mr. Yamagashimoto was able to hear that much. He heard a rattle coming from the rear, and from the front.

So the ETA was 3pm.. and I had a 35k service done at the same time. 430pm I call.. they say.. oh let me find your service manager.. service manager says the car is still in process, it'll be done tomorrow?! WTF. Then they say.. oh, well they said its done, it just needs to be test driven, it'll be ready when you get here around 530pm. So I show up at 540pm, they said the test drive went fine.. finally get my car around 630pm (yes, a long time.. considering I saw my car parked there for over 30 mins!)..

I get in my car.. its pretty quiet.. I get back on the freeway.. its rattling.. again. Now its more of a squeaky rattle.. even more annoying than before IMO. But I can't tell if its the dash anymore.. or if its the dash and the back now.. *cry*.

And no, its nothing in any glove compartments, or ANYWHERE! I took EVERYTHING out of my car except the car manual.. including the shelf that doesn't quite fit in the upper glove box.

So I guess after my 700 trek up and down California this weekend.. back to the dealership where they're probably going to take the dash apart.. again.

Well, at least they did something about it.. I made sure to get it in before 36k so they couldn't complain..

By the way.. they said the squeaking from the front passenger door panel is NORMAL.. that some department confirmed that this is what happens to it after 5k miles (what the hell is this crap?).. I think I'll take this one to Toyota.. because this seems like an absolutely retarded "normality"--Longo says they've already had FOUR complaints about it.. grr.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I was going to suggest checking or temporarily removing the upper glovebox divider. It fits, be sure that you put the divider between the slots, not on top of them.

Although your description of your squeak, rattle and roll doesn't seem to be from there, be sure the rear seats are securly locked. To check try pulling them down without pressing the release latch. If they come down, that may be the problem. Try slamming them in place to be sure they latch securly in place. This can be a source of squeaks, and squeaks/rattles can bounce around thus seeming to come from a different location than the source.

I only offer these as suggestions that you might not have considered. I understand though that they are unlikely and that you probably covered them already anyway.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Dan.. the shelf in the upper box has been LONG GONE almost less than a day after I got the car. As far as the rear seats are concerned.. we've already done that.. it was the source of a very annoying squeak about two weeks ago. They ended up redoing my hatch.. which I will have to take back to them because now when you half open it.. it doesn't open all the way (have to life it higher). And the rattle is louder this morning than ever and now there is a little squeak emitting from (I have no idea where.. but its not the upper glove box this time!). Makes me wonder if I should of taken it to them in the first place. But I guess its going to go back on Tuesday.. sigh.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: rattle

carlstraub said:
Hi,
Very Simplistic--however with sunglasses in overhead bin we get rattles that sound as if they come from dash.
Carl
Yeah.. but on the drive to work today, those were on my face :) And that wasn't in the car during the "test drive" with the shop foreman.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Other possible sources:
- seat belt hanger
- seat belt latch (on the seat)
- seat hinges and mounting
- cup holder in the front of the center console (squeaks from this can sound exactly as if theyare coming from the dash)
- speedo cover
- speed mirror cover

·
Registered
34 Posts
I, too, have a rattle in the dash; I'm going to chance it with the dealer tomorrow (under warranty, I am presuming!). I find that when I press down on the dash, in the vicinity of the clear (glass?) panel over the mileage etc. readout, the rattle stops. So it's pretty certain that it's coming from the dash assembly, vibrating up & down above some components underneath.

Only thing is...I'd installed the EV-only option some time ago (& never have used it!), & would just as soon my dealer did not find that out. Oh, well...

Ken Herrick

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By the way--I did take it back to the dealer about a week after the day I got it back. The day I got it back the FIRST time, I already knew it was rattling still, but didn't have time to deal with it as I was leaving town. The SECOND time, I actually did a test-drive with the shop foreman once again, and everything seemed fix.

Two weeks later (last week), the rattle has returned. I am going back to the service department on Monday as I'm due for the 40k service as well. They are getting worried due to the fact this will be the 3rd time I am bringing it in for the same thing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just for the record... It's the wire-pair running across under the dash that I wanted to keep on the q.t. For the push-button, I glued a little reed-switch behind the blank insert; waft a small magnet across it & it does its thing & no one's the wiser. Except...I now can't be bothered, playing with it!

KCH

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I have a rattle on both sides of the dash at the neds--right under the little front quarter windows. If I hold the little panels down the noise stops. It's much worse when cold. I plan to remove the panels, slip a little foam or other material against whatever rubs or has play in it, and replace them.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When it had stopped for two weeks, they had just finished reinsulating the dash (with the foams and stuff).. Fun stuff.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
KTPhil said:
I have a rattle on both sides of the dash at the neds--.
Don't you hate it when your neds rattle?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts