Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my 2004 Prius started sputtering and had a slight stall when I accelerated from a stop. It happend about three times within three miles. I would push on the accelerator to go, and there was a hesitation, and a slight jerkiness once the engine engaged. After I got going there was a decrease in power for a few minutes. There were two pips on the gas meter when this happened, so wasn't out of gas. As I got closer to home the problem cleared up. Any idea what would have caused the problem? It seems to run fine now.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Was the road wet or gravely? Our Prius has "bucked" a couple of times when the traction control kicked in on less-than-perfect surfaces. Even though I wasn't pushing the accelerator hard at all, it was too hard.

However, this wouldn't account for the hesitation at the start.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Mark Prius said:
Maybe some dirty fuel?
Mark's suggestion may be possibilty if you tend to regularly let gas tank go below 1/4 tank before re-filling. Some sediment & /or water from condensation can accumulate in gas tank, and get into fuel system, more likely if you drain tank frequently.

Take it out on freeway for a stretch if you dont normally drive at those speeds.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
An04Prius said:
Mark Prius said:
Maybe some dirty fuel?
Mark's suggestion may be possibilty if you tend to regularly let gas tank go below 1/4 tank before re-filling. Some sediment & /or water from condensation can accumulate in gas tank, and get into fuel system, more likely if you drain tank frequently.

Take it out on freeway for a stretch if you dont normally drive at those speeds.

<scratching head> The fuel line sucks from the bottom of the fuel tank. The bladder is there to prevent vapor from forming (so no condensation).

More likely would be a higher octane fuel. (The listing on the pump is the minimum octane that can be dispensed from that pump, so all flavors at a pump could be the same 93 octane...) Higher octane in the Prius' engine is known to cause an engine misfire, and also gives lowered MPG (since there's less energy content in the fuel).

I'd like to know more about the road and weather conditions, and what SSCs have been done to the 2004.
If accelerating and there's loose gravel/sand/grass under the tires or you bounce on a pothole/manhole cover, you could experience "hesitation" because of the traction control/ABS notices a tire "slipping" and reduces power to the other wheels.
If it was raining (or you just came from a carwash) and you haven't had the 40E weatherstripping done, water could've gotten into the engine and caused some sputtering, but then again some dash lights would've come on.
or it could be the mysterious "stalling" issue at its beginnings, fixed by 40D and the followup TSBs, but then you'd probably get some lights on your dash...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
mrv said:
<scratching head> The fuel line sucks from the bottom of the fuel tank. The bladder is there to prevent vapor from forming (so no condensation).
That's what I thought I said...the fuel line sucks.. :( , sometime.

I defer to Michelle.

Michelle, you really should get that scalp condition looked at. :p

(Michelle--that was a joke.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts