Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I am the very proud owner of a 2007 Prius. I bought it about a week ago to replace my work-horse commuter car and I absolutely love it.

I live in Lake Tahoe but commute to Reno. This is about 100 miles round trip. In the winter, Tahoe can get some heavy snow and I always did great with my FWD (Automatic, 4cyl.) Mitsubishi Galant and my Spike-Spiders on. I can pop them on and off in two or three minutes without getting dirty and they always worked fabulously. Sometimes when I would go up a somewhat steep snowy hill, I’d put my car in the “1” or “2” gear. I don’t know that I needed to put I was told it was helpful so I always did.

My questions are:

1. Anyone out there used their Prius with Spiders on? I just had my hubs put on the Prius but haven’t used them yet. I usually use them about 6 to 7 times a year.

2. What about gears “1” and “2”? They are usually options on automatic cars. What does the Prius do for this?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Can't tell you anything about traction additions, but since the Prius doesn't have a transmission, it doesn't have a lower gears, either.

Except for keeping it in 'B' all the time, I don't know how you would simulate holding onto a lower gear...but I'm not an expert, either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Prius in the Snow

Hello fellow Tahoe-Reno Prius owner. Never used Spike Spiders but have used Whitestar Alloy Cross Chains on a similar sized car with great results. I seem to always need to go on a trip in January and ran a pair from Reno to Hat Creek Caifornia. 148 Miles and they did the trick. I have yet to hear anyone talk about Spikes Spiders or Snow chains on a Prius.

So has anyone in the snow belt driven in the snow with traction devices and how does it handle in snow. How does it handle without traction devices as I have all the traction and anti skid features in my 2006 #7 Prius. This will be the first year to encounter snow.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Pinto_Girl said:
Can't tell you anything about traction additions, but since the Prius doesn't have a transmission, it doesn't have a lower gears, either.

Except for keeping it in 'B' all the time, I don't know how you would simulate holding onto a lower gear...but I'm not an expert, either.
"B" adds drag; this may help some drivers avoid the loss of control that can come from hitting the [email protected] too hard, because they will already be slowing down as soon as they take their foot from the gas pedal. "B" does not provide extra torqwe at low speed. For low speed torqwe just go slower. Unlike a [email protected] with a conventional transmission the Prius cannot stall. A steady 1 MPH on a slippery surface is a useful tactic and is easy to do in a Prius.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have driven my '05 a couple of times with chains on. It drives just like any front wheel drive car with chains. It does have limited ground clearance, so you need to stay out of the deep stuff.

As has been said, since the "transmission" is continously variable, there is no low gear. The "B" position on the shifter changes the programming to provide slightly more drag on the down hill. I find that it is less drag than I would expect in the 2 position on an ordinary automatic. On the other hand, when you ride your brakes, you're using regenerative braking, so you're not overheating the brakes. If the battery is in danger of being over charged on a long down hill, the electric motor will spin the ICE (internal combustion engine) to use the extra power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.