Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 07's speedometer is reading about 30 mph faster than the actual speed. I'm calling the dealer tomorrow but was wondering if this is a common occurence or a sign of bigger issues?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Check the display to see whether you are in miles or kilometers. There is a button to the far right of the clock to change between the two options. It is easy to hit it by mistake when you try to reset the odometer with the adjacent button.

·
Registered
991 Posts
When we test drove our 06.. we did it in KM and it makes it seem freakishly fast.. but yeah.. toggle the M/KM button under the MFD (next to the hazard button) and make sure youre in Miles.. it should say it next to the speed whether its km or m.

·
Registered
14 Posts
coloradospringsprius said:
I've always thought it was odd that, in a car with so few actual buttons on the dashboard, that was one of them. I think the engineers put it there as a twisted gag.
I love having the mph/kph button as when I drive into Canada I can see my real speed more easily than reading the little yellow numbers on my older Corolla. And on my 1970 VW Type III there weren't any kph markings at all, I had to just match the speed of the cars around me.

Dave

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have to chuckle as my husband practically had a heart attack when he said the speedometer was going haywire. He doesn't drive my car that often so I'm still filling him in on features. A couple days ago he couldn't get the wipers to stay on. Seems our Prius wiper shift is opposite of other cars we've had. And a couple weeks ago my daughter borrowed my car and forgot you had to depress the brake as the Power button is pushed. She called to say the car wouldn't start. (We were in Hawaii so fortunately she figured things out before having to call Toyota.l)

·
Registered
144 Posts
the real jokers were on the type two Prius. I have all the buttons but none of the features I just tell people that GPS is Japanese for ejector seat. and they leave it alone, :twisted:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also love the Km vs Mile button when I drive into the USA! However, I feel Toyota goofed by not also converting the odometer. When your map says its 5 miles to the exit you want, would be nice to know when you've gone the 5 miles, rather than calculating 8km.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
spitsnrovers said:
I also love the Km vs Mile button when I drive into the USA! However, I feel Toyota goofed by not also converting the odometer. When your map says its 5 miles to the exit you want, would be nice to know when you've gone the 5 miles, rather than calculating 8km.
Maybe they're something wrong with yours... Mine displays miles just fine :twisted:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Putting the Km/M button close to the odometer/trip button, and then not night-lighting either button, leads me to do some dramatic speeding on a fairly regular basis. I like to clear the trip counter after filling with gas and, more often than not, hit the other button along with it.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
spitsnrovers said:
Hey melgish, I'll bet the 'something wrong with mine' is the exact inverse of something wrong with yours! Bet yours doesn't display kilometers. :roll:
I don't know. We don't have kilometers down here in Florida, only miles so that's all my car's been driven. :wink:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
damon728 said:
I'm an idiot, thanks for all the reply's.
Then you will fit right in here. :)

Isn't it fun when the fix is an easy one?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.