Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kudos to Toyota for designing a speedometer for the Prius that is extremely accurate. I've checked mine against a GPS at a wide variety of speeds, and it is spot on!

Is my Prius unique in this regard?

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have checked mine with a stopwatch and mile markers on the highway, as well as with GPS. Mine reads 1 mile per hour high at speeds from 45-70mph. Close enough for me.

·
Registered
736 Posts
wayneswhirld said:
Mine also reads 1 MPH high according to those warning indicators police set up in towns.
Yeah, we get those too. It usually means that a period of special enforcement is imminent. One I passed today flashes "Thank You" above the speed indicator which I assume means you are at or under the posted limit. I haven't tried it to see what it says if it clocks you over the limit.
We are leaving Monday on a trip to New England, and I always like to know how accurate my speedometer is, in order to avoid speed traps or getting caught a few miles over. Cruise control is a lifesaver! We voted for comfort over efficiency on this trip, and are driving our Lexus. We did give the Prius serious consideration, however.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
hyperion said:
Yea, they put only two instruments in the car. One is perfect, the other isn't!
There are a lot more instruments, just not very many guages. But there is the Consumption screen and instantaneous mpg. The overall/trip mpg...they're relatively accurate.

With the right tools the other instruments can also be accessed and are quite accurate! 8)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
no idea but it seems to be spot on. Driving Television (local car programme) did a 200km Hybrid Commuter Challenge and the Prius was the only one with 200km dead on showing on the Trip Odometer.

·
Registered
299 Posts
How do we know that those roadside speed monitors are correct? I use my cruise control and regularly travel through two construction sites with those monitors. Both are on level ground. One monitor shows the same speed that my speedometer shows. The other one shows my speed at 2 MPH lower.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
efusco said:
But there is the Consumption screen and instantaneous mpg. The overall/trip mpg...they're relatively accurate.
Precise, yes. Accurate, no. Either that, or I am owed quite a bit of gas over the car's lifetime.

G

·
0 Posts
I have a ScanGauge, and have regularly observed the speed it shows varies from same as the speedometer up to 2 MPH less than what's shown on the speedometer. I've always assumed the speed as shown on the ScanGauge is the more accurate, and the speed shown on the speedometer is "padded" slightly, something I've heard is common on today's cars (no, I don't have a link, so feel free to take this as apocryphal). The difference seems to vary with both speed and state of acceleration-at higher speeds or under acceleration, the difference is greater, and is less when coasting or at lower speeds.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hi JamesB

(See my other post under your thread "Prius Problems.") Suggest you post more information: miles, year model, package, options, where located, etc. Have you driven this Prius from new? Is it, perhaps, a "salvaged" Prius without warranty?

·
Registered
992 Posts
ChasSuitt said:
Hi JamesB

(See my other post under your thread "Prius Problems.") Suggest you post more information: miles, year model, package, options, where located, etc. Have you driven this Prius from new? Is it, perhaps, a "salvaged" Prius without warranty?
From what I've gathered from his other post.. (aside from not knowing his model/miles/package)--it wasn't a salvaged Prius.. its a 2004 Prius he's had on "lease" for 2.5 years..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts