Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered a non smart key fob for my smart entry '04 system. I assume that it can be programed per the instructions that I printed out some time ago. Can't remember quite where, but it was for the '04.
Can anyone confirm this will work ok?
Arnie :cry:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the extra fob?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The nonsmart fob & key was $170 + programing, which I'll do myself. I have great fear of being locked out, since my wife has the other key in her posession. :D

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
hehe.. Since you mentioned that you have SE/SS, why not just keep the key in your pocket? That, combined with the fact that it won't LET you lock your key in without you going through a lot of effort, should prevent you from ever locking it in...

(And if the fob battery dies, you just physically remove the key to unlock the door, and insert the fob in the dash (like those non-SE/SS people,) to start. It will work this way until you replace the battery.)

But, I do agree with the basic idea of having a spare key. My local dealer quoted me $219 including programming.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem I'm concerned about is, what if I lose the fob. I used to keep a spare door key on my Ford truck in my wallet and an ignition key in the glove compartment. But if I get in with the key and no fob, then what? :roll: Can't start!

I'm still not sure, but think it's not a problem, will it allow me to program just the non-smart stuff on the new non smart (cheaper) fob??

·
Registered
95 Posts
arizonapilot: I've had the same concern (minus the Smart Entry complication since I don't have it). At least for the first three years, we have the Roadside Assistance so that alleviates my concern somewhat. But, I did express this concern as one of my two criticisms of the car when I filled out the survey on the car that Toyota sent to me.

(The other criticism is that I have trouble figuring out how to get the equivalent of "vent" on other cars where the car just blows in some outside air without trying to heat it or cool it. That damned climate control system is a little too automatic for me. I did finally figure out a sequence of turning the climate control completely off, then turning the vent back on [which automatically turns on the A.C. button], then turning the A.C. back off again, but even then it seems to sometimes[??] decide to heat the air if it is too cold relative to what I have the climate control temp set at. Urgh!!!)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Jshore: You have to start the climate system by pressing a fan speed button. Then turn the A/C off if it decided to come on. Then you have to set the temperature below the temp of the car (to prevent heat). They really should have just had a "Vent" button.

Arizonapilot: I didn't know you could program a fob yourself. Don't you need extremely specialized equipment? Or is it just a matter of putting the fob in the slot and pressing the right buttons?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Daniel said:
Arizonapilot: I didn't know you could program a fob yourself. Don't you need extremely specialized equipment? Or is it just a matter of putting the fob in the slot and pressing the right buttons?
Hi Daniel,

This was one of the things I had on my site. If you want I will see if I still have it at home and email to to you. Its a combination of button pushing and came direct from the Prius workshop manual.

Victor

·
Registered
95 Posts
Daniel said:
Jshore: You have to start the climate system by pressing a fan speed button. Then turn the A/C off if it decided to come on. Then you have to set the temperature below the temp of the car (to prevent heat). They really should have just had a "Vent" button.
Yeah...It sounds like you have come out about where I came out on it. I do find this having to set the temp below the temp of the car to prevent heat to be a bit annoying. (On the other hand, I guess in my previous car, it would also put out heat if I had it on "vent" and didn't have the cold-warm dial all the way over on cold...So, maybe it's not really any worse.)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Uploading of HTML is not allowed. The file is in HTML as it was on my web site.

If someone can print it to a PDF that would be best.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts