Toyota Prius Forum banner

In an average week how many Prii (1st and 2nd Gen) do you see?

• Next to none - 6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7+ It really IS an *I*N*V*A*S*I*O*N*

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last week I have seen well over a dozen 2004 Prii just in the Long Beach area. Beginning of the week I was at the new Pike and was parked while I went into Island Burgers. Came out and there was a millenium silver parked right next to me. On the way home, went up Pine and Passed ANOTHER Black one. 2 days later on the way to work I saw 2 driftwoods pretty much following each other where PCH and 7th Street meet. One had a peace sticker and a Bush/Cheney sticker on the rear. Next day I saw a Salsa (low package/no fog lamps) near Bellflower and Stearns, and on my return trip I saw a super white. Today, I saw a superwhite going down 7th street toward downtown, and when over by the Long Beach Towne Center I saw 2 blues and on the 605 South toward home I saw another salsa (high package with fog lamps)

Since to me at least, the 1st gen doesn't stand out THAT much I can't even say how many I''ve seen, but I've distinctly seen a couple in the last week...

1) Anyone else encountering THIS kind of frequency on seeing other Prii?

2) Anyone having better luck when they say "Hi" to a fellow Prius owner with a little tap on the horn or a wave? (I get dirty looks or in the case of the black one downtown I had said "Nice car. I have the same one" and got a "Yeah, just don't worry about it, alright?!"

3) From my experience of seeing the different colors, I would say that Salsa and Tideland seem to be the rare ones... at least in this market. Anyone notice somethingelse as rare in their area? (Note: I'm in So. California)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well during my three days down there, I certainly noticed about five. I'll be adding my own black one soon, but I have yet to see a black Prius.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There are the two '04s that park in the lot in front of my office, 1 black, 1 blue that I always have to oogle on my way out. As for the rest of the numbers to account for the 7+ daily, I see about that many during my commute to and from Culver City to Hollywood. Poke around West Los Angeles and I'm sure your count could get well into the double digits. I saw 3 on a truck being off loaded at the back entrance for the Culver City Miller Toyota last night. 1 black, 1 blue, 1 white. That's the first time I've seen them on a truck. There are 3 '04s, and 2 classics within a 3 block radius of my home that I've seen regularly. I think blue is the most common around here, followed by silver. Then gold, black and green. Red and white seem to be the most scarce.

That's a bummer that you're not getting the love out there.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Give 'em the finger!

I used to have a Corvette back in the '60s, and Vette owners used to acknowledge each other, too. It was very subtle, kind of Fonzie-like (you gotta remember to be cool). It was even less than a Boris Yeltsin hand puppet wave, just a single lifted finger a little above the steering wheel.

You could always tell a newbie, they were grinning ear-to-ear and leaning out the window, waving with both hands and yelling. That usually got you completely ignored -- not cool.

Unfortunately, most Prius owners are like the latter and just don't know how to stifle their excitement and maintain their cool.

I always thought that Vette owners were snobs, anyway.

If you see me in my Prius, I'll be the one leaning out the window and waving with both hands and yelling!

·
Registered
73 Posts
:lol: Ditto Phoenix. I'm sure I'll get plenty of cold stares in return, but I report back on the attitude of other Prius drivers in my area.

·
Registered
311 Posts
willys said:
With only two model if Prius, we have it easy....

Be thankful that we dont drive JEEPs:

http://members.aol.com/xtianstone/jeepwave.html

Too compicated to keep track of - who to wave to ....Or not :lol:

but then again since my Jeep was a '48 WILLYS CJ2A

Top of the heap (refer to the scoring sheet)

Cheers! :p
Ha damn newbie! Show respect for a driver of a 1943 Ford built JEEP!

Only got 700 miles on the '04 so far (took delivery 3rd of July) but so far have NEVER seen another '04 Prius on the road ever, whether in our Prius or during the 8 months we were waiting to get it. I know they are out there as all the local dealers have all delivered Prii presold prior to delivery.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I sure do see a lot now too. On average, every hour I spend driving I see about 2 Prii, most '04.

·
Registered
30 Posts
bradca21 said:
1) Anyone else encountering THIS kind of frequency on seeing other Prii?

2) Anyone having better luck when they say "Hi" to a fellow Prius owner with a little tap on the horn or a wave? (I get dirty looks or in the case of the black one downtown I had said "Nice car. I have the same one" and got a "Yeah, just don't worry about it, alright?!"

3) From my experience of seeing the different colors, I would say that Salsa and Tideland seem to be the rare ones... at least in this market. Anyone notice somethingelse as rare in their area? (Note: I'm in So. California)
Hi Brad - I was just thinking about this yesterday when I realized that I'd seen four different ones, not counting the other one that shares the parking garage at work, during my commute. One was a white classic. I've seen two today so far. Pri seem to be a lot more common on the road than they were, say, one month ago.

I've had some luck with waving at fellow owners and a Salsa beeped at me going by as I was making a turn onto the 10 Eastbound last week. (I'd like to beep hello more often, but have a heck of a time finding the darn horn!)

Hmm. Colors? I don't remember seeing any black ones so far. A couple of Salsa Reds. Quite a number of Tidelands (that's the 'gunmetal olive', right? :wink: ) And Silvers & the sandy brown color. (Sorry - totally spaced on it's proper name.) And several whites. I've only seen two other blue ones in the past 3 months.

Side note: People are putting bumper stickers on their new cars?!? The horror! :shock:

·
Registered
397 Posts
I see them all the time (classic and '04) and in all colors. I'd tell you where I live, but my mom would yank my internet access.
Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Northern NJ spottings have suddenly increased! I used to see maybe one or two a week. But over the last two weeks, I'm seeing one or two a day! Lots of different colors, so it's not repeated spottings of the same car. I usually wave, but only get responses maybe 1/4 of the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
During my daily 23 mile commute in the west Los Angeles area, I see at least 3 or 4, which definitely brings me into the double digits each week. There are three people at my workplace (incl. me) who have one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Last time I reported that there were 2 '04 Prius that park in the 60 space lot outside my office. First off, I was wrong. I kept seeing 1 black Prius at a time, so naturally I thought that it was just 1, but now I've caught 2 black ones at the same time out there and I realized I had seen them both but hadn't noticed the differences. So that made 3 on a daily basis. 2 black, 1 blue. Now I can add my gunmetal Prius to the count. Today another '04 silver showed up, and I think it's worth mentioning that a minty blue/green Civic hybrid is out there, too. Out of 60 spaces, 6 are taken up by hybrids. It's starting to look good out there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I usually see about three every day. I usually try to wave, but they usually don't see me. The other day I pulled right alongside a white 2004, matched speeds, and waved. The guy finally saw me and smiled and waved back.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I see a couple a day. I glance at other drivers on my 15-mile trek down and up the 405 every day. I don't get many glances back, so I figure waving is pointless at best, and dorky at worst.

Ultimate geek chic: I was at Warner Bros for a screening, and walked by a VIP parking lot where I saw a Prius WITH A SEGWAY LYING IN THE BACK SEAT. sheesh...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live in OC and I see about 2 to 3 a day on the 91, 5, 405, 241, and 261 freeways. We all wave and smile like dorks! It's so much fun!! See you out there! The thing that kills me is that I don't know when to stop waving. I never know what to do when we pull up along side each other again..do we start waving for a long time again? LOL.

I don't see many tideland pearls like myself out there. I see lots of red, black and blue 04's in Socal.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thomme said:
I see a couple a day. I glance at other drivers on my 15-mile trek down and up the 405 every day. I don't get many glances back, so I figure waving is pointless at best, and dorky at worst.

Ultimate geek chic: I was at Warner Bros for a screening, and walked by a VIP parking lot where I saw a Prius WITH A SEGWAY LYING IN THE BACK SEAT. sheesh...
May want to take that back Thomme... lol Brian, the moderator for this board, HAS a segway that he fits in the back of his Prius. From what I know about him, he wouldn't be in a VIP lot at WB... but... First lesson I ever learned online... Don't talk crap about those that can cut you off... lol :wink:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts