Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I bought a 2006 Toyota Prius back in February some time and my one complaint about the car is that the sound system isn't up to my standards. I got the basic Canadian package so I can't really complain about what I got but the problem is that nobody seems to be able to upgrade the sound system for me! I can't find any deck kits for the car, or any IPOD integration type kit. I did find one that would work for a 2004-2005 but apparently it won't do the 2006 for some odd reason.

Basically I want to be able to play mp3s in my car. I'm not a fan of continuously having to change cds all the time. I've got a VERY large music collection and it'd be great if I could just have it all at my fingertips, or if not, at least be able to burn the ones I do have to mp3 format so I can stick more than 15 songs on one CD.

I also wouldn't mind installing a new Sub-Woofer, new speakers and an external amp for each although I might end up busting the bank....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had my subwoofer installed at Circuit City. It took them about 2 hours. Those bass drum shots at the end of Stravinski's Firebird really distort the view out the back hatch! :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
DanMan32 said:
No need to double post. I already replied to the post in one of the other forums.
Hey DanMan, not all of us sleep around with the other forums. Some of us are monogamous and are loyal to PriusOnline! :wink:

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
RealAle said:
DanMan32 said:
No need to double post. I already replied to the post in one of the other forums.
Hey DanMan, not all of us sleep around with the other forums. Some of us are monogamous and are loyal to PriusOnline! :wink:
I said forum, not site, though sometimes these two terms are used interchangably. He posted in the Technical forum as well:

http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=9102

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do appologize for that but I wasn't sure where I should post it.

The only thing I can think of for my issue is to install a sub, which wouldn't be that big a deal, and to use an fm-tuner, but i really don't want to resort to that... the sound quality would be poor and I couldn't use any of the steering wheel or screen controls...

·
Registered
370 Posts
dzoutzidis said:
The only thing I can think of for my issue is to install a sub, which wouldn't be that big a deal, and to use an fm-tuner, but i really don't want to resort to that... the sound quality would be poor and I couldn't use any of the steering wheel or screen controls...
Yes, install a powered sub and if you like, swap out the front speakers and tweeters. I've done both and the difference is night-and-day (but the sub made the biggest difference).

MP3: As far as I know, the DICE unit does not support the 2006MY, but you might want to contact them to be sure. VAIS does work with the 2006, but is somewhat more expensive. I have a 2005 and DICE and couldn't possibly be happier.

BTW- I did all my own installation ofr the sub, speakers, and DICE. The car is very easy to work on and there's really no reason to pay some pimple-faced kid at Circuit City to do it for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.