Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody had to do it, may as well be me.

Damn key fob was in pant's pocket.

Went for a wash and then a dry. All the banging in the dryer was reason to question, but I let it go.

So there was the key laying in the dryer! A bit beaten up though.

Good news is that it still works! However, I'd like to change the battery out. Hmmm....doesn't show in the manual. Any idea how to get to it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
  1. Slide switch on end of key, remove backup key[/*:m:3u44qok9]
  2. Hold key with Toyota logo facing you, thumb on the ledge at the end of the key.[/*:m:3u44qok9]
  3. While pushing away from you on the ledge, slide the switch. The back cover of the fob will slide open[/*:m:3u44qok9]
  4. Remove 4 screws. Don't lose them! :)[/*:m:3u44qok9]

·
Registered
610 Posts
:roll:
Hmmm....doesn't show in the manual. Any idea how to get to it?
2004 Owner's Manual - pp 36-37 "REPLACING THE BATTERY" gives detailed directions regarding replacing the CR2032 Lithium battery in the fob.

There is a wealth of information in the Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Don't flatter yourself, you're not the first, and sure won't be the last. Good news is that it seems to be darn durable.

I think you're smart to change out the battery...while you have the back off I'd leave it out to air dry and/or dry it with a hair drier just to be sure to get any residual moisture out of the cracks and crevices.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My fob went through the wash and dry cycle, with soap, bleach, and fabric softener shortly after I got the car. Almost two years later and it still works fine.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Sorry to hear it got beat up in the dryer. I haven't washed my key, but anythign that large my washer will usually eject it from the pocket it was in and it will be in the bottom of the washer when I pull my clothing out.

I believe there is a gasket in the key where the door to the battery attaches, effectively making the key water resistant. I won't say proof because I don't think the key is built to those standards.

If the key continues to work keep using it, but if you think it might be a reliability liability, go out and get a new one programmed to your car. That may be a pretty penny and some dealers don't treat the key as a ncessity but as a way of rapeing you for cash.

·
Registered
69 Posts
WDIN said:
My fob went through the wash and dry cycle, with soap, bleach, and fabric softener shortly after I got the car. Almost two years later and it still works fine.
Yeah, but it does it have that fresh, outdoorsy scent they advertise on TV?

:wink:

Jan

·
Registered
40 Posts
JKnight said:
WDIN said:
Yeah, but it does it have that fresh, outdoorsy scent they advertise on TV?

:wink:

Jan

I only use perfume free products.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I too washed my key fob the second week in the wash. Now I try to remember to take it out of my pants everytime I get home. It still works great!!! I will tell you I had my doubts when I first found it in the dryer :lol:

·
Registered
111 Posts
My wife put her '01 Jetta key fob through the wash and it stopped working. And you can't change the battery yourself. So there's one for the Prius.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts