Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
:roll: javawizard = Thinly disguised TROLL. If you choose to respond to his drivel, he will get a good laugh. Probably a GM or soon to be laid off Ford employee. The penalty of "free speedh" is that so much misinformation can be promulgated.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I suspect he just has his facts mixed up. I sense he can be taught.
But I could be wrong about that.

By the way, CR presented an article about alternative fuels, such as ethanol and biodiesel. I thought it was balanced.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
It's interesting to note that apparently in response to John1701a's post at Priuschat, the article was edited/corrected in at least several instances, such as amending more accurately the quote about small diesels getting better mileage to "that might get close to the same mileage", correcting the reversed Prius city and highway mileage figures and the battery life distance to 180,000 miles.

By correcting these items, I think the guy meant no malice and that now the article is interesting and informative (though many of us knew most of this stuff), though I wouldn't call it "odd" facts about the Prius, just facts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
ChasSuitt said:
:roll: javawizard = Thinly disguised TROLL. Probably a GM or soon to be laid off Ford employee.
You may be right but I thought is was the jr. high child of one of the soon to be laid off Ford or GM employee. I can't believe and adult would try to cobble together such dribble filled misleading info or just plain lies.

This is what you choose to do with you life javawizard? I truly feel sorry for you.

Of course, Rush may still be in prison and/or rehab with lots of time on his hands :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
I stopped reading at the first egregious technical error. Diesel fuel does NOT "contain" more energy per unit volume or unit mass than gasoline. We mechanical engineers refer to this figure of merit as the "heating value" of a fuel. It is because of its relatively low heating value that Diesel fuel must be compressed much more than gasoline to induce burning, typically 18:1 to 23:1, or so.

Incidentally, home-grown biofuel, alcohol, also has a lower heating value than does gasoline. That is one reason why fuel mileage goes down in the winter in those locations such as California where blended alcohol/gasoline mixtures are mandatory during cold weather.

Don't get me wrong; both Diesel fuel and alcohol have several advantages over gasoline. It's just that heating value doesn't happen to be one of them.

Does anyone know if Toyota sells a pure alcohol fuel version of the Prius in Brazil? Brazil has done more than any other country to achieve energy independence by going to 100% alcohol fueled engines.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.