Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the posting from HIVOLTAGE regarding coffee (didn't want to stray off topic in that thread)... we were on the big island last year (stayed in Kona) and now we have a drinking problem...coffee.

100% Kona is great (we order it from Koacoffee.com via 2-day FEDEX, they have the best price that we've found straight from the growers), and we've found that Costa Rican coffee is pretty good too.

If you have a personal favorite that you think is pretty darn good, let's hear about it!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I've made an Amtrak pilgrimage (not kidding) from the East Coast to San Francisco to get Peet's. Then I realized they ship. ;)

When I'm feeling more exotic, I get Kona in pods for my Senseo coffee maker. It's very delicious! Like Jeff, I have it shipped directly from the grower, Aloha Island Coffee.

·
Registered
154 Posts
As much of a coffee snob as I am, I have never tasted more than just a cheesy Kona "blend." Currently, my fave is med. dark roast Indonesian.

Until a few years ago, it was very hard to get a decent cup of coffee in this town. There are no indy coffee houses within striking distance and Star**ck's seems to have limited offerings compared to their northern counterparts.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I think it's from Peet's, but one I really liked was called "aged indonesian." Excellent, smooth, flavorful, and delicious in decaf (my hyperactivity of choice).

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
jeff_h said:
I saw the posting from HIVOLTAGE regarding coffee (didn't want to stray off topic in that thread)... we were on the big island last year (stayed in Kona) and now we have a drinking problem...coffee.

100% Kona is great (we order it from Koacoffee.com via 2-day FEDEX, they have the best price that we've found straight from the growers), and we've found that Costa Rican coffee is pretty good too.

If you have a personal favorite that you think is pretty darn good, let's hear about it!

Jeff
Pure Kona is smooth, but a little too simple for my taste. I like more complex coffees. My current favorite is the French Roast blend of whole beans from Caribou. What ever you have, it will taste twice as good if you grind the beans just before brewing. Another little tip is to wipe out the grinder after every use. The residue gets rancid and will ruin the future batches with off notes. (oops that was almost wine speak)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hep said:
Another little tip is to wipe out the grinder after every use. The residue gets rancid and will ruin the future batches with off notes. (oops that was almost wine speak)
I do use the grinder just before brewing, but never heard about the residue problem, so I've been doing it all wrong all along I guess. Thanks, will have to make the improvement from now on!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks, Sanny! I will keep my eyes peeled for "Pete."

I was very disappointed about Jamaican Blue Mountain. I bought all the hype and when I went for some on my trip to said island....YAWN!!!!

Other than Indonesian, can someone recommend something deep, dark and complex? Keep in mind that I brew my coffee very strong. Coffee isn't coffe until it can peel the paint off the side of a tour bus! :shock:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dznyskp said:
Keep in mind that I brew my coffee very strong. Coffee isn't coffe until it can peel the paint off the side of a tour bus! :shock:
I agree... hey I'll have to keep in touch, will be in Orlando in November as one of those darn "tourmites"... will buy you one of those strong coffees.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
jeff_h said:
Hep said:
Another little tip is to wipe out the grinder after every use. The residue gets rancid and will ruin the future batches with off notes. (oops that was almost wine speak)
I do use the grinder just before brewing, but never heard about the residue problem, so I've been doing it all wrong all along I guess. Thanks, will have to make the improvement from now on!
I just wipe the grinder and the lid with a paper towel over the trash.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Jeff, If I am still here in November, I will be more than happy to have cup of Joe with you (and a highly caffeinated tour of Mouschwitz, afterward).

Sanny: Personally, I would rather be loaded right about now (*#%$! Mondays). How about we settle for godiva liqueur this evening and save the coffee for tomorrow morning. ugh....

People wonder why I don't want children....I have CO-WORKERS! :x [/u]

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Hey, Sanny,

I like your think'g in your last post'g (Black Prius, loaded?). Great comeback!! What a sense of humor! I wish I had said that line. You go girl!!

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Ct. Ken V said:
Hey, Sanny,

I like your think'g in your last post'g (Black Prius, loaded?). Great comeback!! What a sense of humor! I wish I had said that line. You go girl!!

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)
Am I the only one who doesn't care what brand of coffee I drink? However, I do feel that a coffee colored Prius would be a very elegant car. Is there a reason we hardly see any brown cars? (I know what some of you are thinking :wink: , but I mean a GOOD reason.)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
evander said:
Am I the only one who doesn't care what brand of coffee I drink? However, I do feel that a coffee colored Prius would be a very elegant car.
At work, any mud will do... I've even been sighted making pots of the cheap stuff that I know a supervisor loathes when the starbucks blends are sitting right next to the maker.

At home, well that's different... I don't drink lots of coffee, but generally will go with something 'complex' as Hep puts it.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
I've never liked the taste of coffee the beverage. I'm about the only person that isn't the caffiene addict at work...

LOVE the smell of coffee, so I do enjoy going into the fancy coffee stores just for the aroma.

As a kid, I wasn't a fan of regular milk (mild lactose intolerance), but really enjoyed coffee milk. If you don't live near RI or CT, you're probably not familiar with coffee syrup. (I remember a driving vacation with my parents when I was 9 - we made friends with this other couple at a breakfast diner in the Carolinas... we started the conversation with "so, where in New England are you from?" after hearing the guy trying desperately to order and then describe to the confused waitress what coffee milk was, and that he didn't want a glass of milk with a little bit of coffee poured into it...) Today, more of a fan of chocolate milk, since it's easier to purchase...

Also, as a kid, my favorite flavor of ice cream was Coffee, and it had to be the Howard Johnson's brand. I don't think I can buy Coffee flavored ice cream anymore (and it's really difficult to find the Howard Johnson's brand now), but it seems that most every ice cream manufacturer now has a Cappuccino flavor...

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I knew you were good people!
I also like any coffee, as long as it's hot. Even camp coffee where you throw the grind into the water, set the pot on the fire and let it boil. There's nothing like coffee you can chew, on a cold morning on the trail!

·
Registered
922 Posts
My dear parents also loved coffee flavored ice cream, and I do believe it was Howard Johnson's. They came from Europe, so espresso in those little demitasse cups was a favorite of theirs as well.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts