Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. Perhaps this has already been discussed to death.
Had my Pri up to 90 coming back thru Montana on my way to
Seattle. Wonder how fast some of the others on the board
have been able to go....

Even got 48 for that tank full. I'm impressed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Toyota recomends no faster than 100mph but I've heard 106 and now 107. I see no need to go that fast and in CA it's a big no-no over 100. I doubt I'll ever go over 85.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There's supposed to be a limiter/retarder thing that prevents the car from going over 105 mph since going much faster than that can damage things and/or prevent certain parts from working correctly. But 105 or under is perfectly safe.

It's probably something that specifically limits the rotational speed of the motors or engine or something. So technically the speed doesn't matter, but you wouldn't be able to accelerate above 105 without gravity.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
70 mph, officer! :wink:

·
Registered
25 Posts
107 MPH

107 MPH confirmed vs. GPS. BFE, Nevada (Denio Jctn)
That spedo is very accurate.
The consumption was reading 20 or 25 mpg if I remember correctly.
DBird

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I was tooling along out in the boondocks the other day and I got to wondering just how fast this machine would go so I trounced it. When I hit ninety I decided to back off but curiousity got the best of me. Still not a car in sight and the Prius remained comfortably stable. Credo the wind tunnel design and I continued with this nutty experiment. I was about to back down at 103mph when I caught sight of the revolving blue light in my rear view mirror. First thought was to attempt to out run the cops but then a little sense took over and I slowed down and stopped for the inevitable.
The State Trooper got out of his cruiser with his hand on his pistol
Made me get out of the car and place my hands on the rooftop.
When he decided that I wasn't going to bite, he asked me what the hell I thought I was doing?
I told him, "Officer, my wife ran off with a State Trooper about three weeks ago, and I thought you were bringing her back!"
I wasn't even given a warning!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had my PRIUS foe a week now and I drove it today to about 96 MPH. I could go faster but the engine is new and just slow down. If you push slowley it will pickup and go. Very impresed LOVE IT so far.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I personally have gotten up to 90 by accident but if I rember correctly the Prius holds the land speed record for a hybrid at 130mph.

Personally I don't want to throw my fuel savings away by paying huge tickets. :lol:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hyperion;

That's nothin'! I have a friend with a company Learjet over at Hanscom field, so he took me over for a race. He gave me a 100 yard headstart,
and I had Isabelle up to 107 mph when he passed me and took off.

But here's the interesting thing: when I hit 100, the MFD beeped and displayed "Switch to airborne mode". So I hit the button and two silver wings came out, and up I went. :p

I backed off the pedal and glided back down onto Route 2 just short of Acton.

During the whole glide down, the MFD read 99 mpg.
:wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts