Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's witht the snowflake on my MFD (2006 package 1) ? I take it it is some type of warning on cold mornings, but it never stays on long enough for me to really see it in detail. I looked in the manual, but couldn't find anything. It looks like it have to slash lines over the snowflake (if that's what it is)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Get used to it. The little guy has been coming on here in Chicago as well. If the temp is 37 degrees or below, orange flake adorns your dash. Lovely color array, isn't it?

·
Registered
127 Posts
SteveNH said:
What's witht the snowflake on my MFD (2006 package 1) ? I take it it is some type of warning on cold mornings, but it never stays on long enough for me to really see it in detail. I looked in the manual, but couldn't find anything. It looks like it have to slash lines over the snowflake (if that's what it is)
DanMan said in an earlier post he thought the snowflake was replaced by a tire pressure warning symbol in the 2006 model. So, when and if I see a snowflake in my '06, what am I to surmise about the tire pressure? Thanks, LL :?:

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
On the NHW20 Prius, there's an orange/yellow snowflake on a perspective road symbol, which indicates that the outside temperature is below 3C/37F (that roads may start to freeze/ice
over). This flashes on the MFD and then stays next to the outside temperature reading. On the 2004-2005 models, it ALSO appears on the dashboard and stays there (scaring many new owners when the weather gets cold), but was removed from the dash starting in 2006 (slot now the tire pressure monitor).

yes, it is listed in your owner's manual. and in some countries, it is marketed as a safety item.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
LittleLamb said:
SteveNH said:
DanMan said in an earlier post he thought the snowflake was replaced by a tire pressure warning symbol in the 2006 model. So, when and if I see a snowflake in my '06, what am I to surmise about the tire pressure? Thanks, LL :?:
I subsequently found out I might be wrong about that.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I used to see it once in a while on my "04, but we have had pretty warm weather lately, so haven't had it come on in the '06. I looked in my manual, but couldn't find any mention of a cold temp warning indicator. When you first power up, the warning light display does not show any snowflake like the '04 had. If anyone has seen it in the '06 manual, could you please mention the page number? Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Snow Flake again.

I've seen the snow flake now several times now on my 06, so it hasn't been removed from the 2006 model.. I still can't find it in the manual. If someone has seen it in the '06 manual, please let me know on what page. I'm not sure how useful it is since it doesn't really stay on long enough to be noticed. I'm from New England, I really don't need my car to tell me it's cold out`:)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Steve,
I'm the same way, I can tell if it is cold. But I think the idea behind the snowflake was to let you know when conditions were such that you could hit icy patches on the pavement. In your part of the country, I would expect most drivers would already be aware of that possibility. Here in So. Cal. it is kind of a handy thing to have as you drive over a mountain pass, etc. Some drivers here have to be reminded every time it rains that the roads get slick, especially after a long dry spell in which oil soaks into the pavement.
Like you, I'm still wondering if it mentions the MFD snowflake anywhere in the manual.
Roger

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think we've established that there is no snowflake on the dash of the 06 and up. There is one on the MFD - presumably that is the one the OP is seeing as he has an 06. The spot on the dash that had the snowflake is now taken by the tire pressure warning lamp.

This morning I had to go out to get groceries in the anti-Prius. It has an "ICE" indication on its' temp display - and it's lit here for 5-6 months steady. It was -22 C this morning, and yes, the roads could be slippery though not so much as when it's warmer, as in close to 0 C!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Snowflake here in 2007

Saw the snowflake for the first time on my 2007 last weekend when it was 37 degrees and below (indicator went down to 34 degrees while we were driving). The snowflake appears to the left of the outside temp display on the MFD, not on the dash. It doesn't *stay on* all the time though, just flashes on here and there, even when the outside temp shows 34 degrees. Weird. But it's cool and it is a nice reminder to drive safely.

Dave

·
Registered
145 Posts
never a snowflake on my 06

I've never seen the snowflake on my 06 but have seen the MFD warn that the outside temp is 37 degrees F. The entire top line changes to indicate that temperature and the text is centered. It stays that way for a few seconds then reverts back to the shorter right justified temp display (while in an Info screen).

Maybe it's been removed only on 06+ models that DO have TPMS?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
My o4 shwed the Snow Flake, 1st on dash inside the cluster.
2nd on the MFD, went away a few hors later.

Strange sighting, Due to never see any warning sign ever.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SnowFlake

W've had some cold weather here in New Hampshire for a few days. I've seen the snowflake several times on the MFD. On the '06 it does not show on the dash. It last about ten seconds on the MFD and then disappears, it does not show on the temp after that.
What does show is the gas consumption. Since the ICE stgays on to heat the car, my milage has dropped to about 32 mpg's from about 44 mpgs in warmer weather.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I've had the snowflake nearly every day since late November. Defrost as well as heat (even with Auto Climate) really impact on mileage. I haven't seen 30 mpg since my last fillup.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Re: Snowflake

reductionfurnace said:
One thing I've noticed is when the snow flake comes on the charge on my battery tends to stay higher. I've been told by an automotive guy this is consistant with maintaining a long battery life.
I doubt that's the reason. ICE runs more since you are more likely demanding heat from it for yourself. Rather than waste the kinetic energy being produced mostly only to provide you with heat, it provides a little extra charge to the battery.
2nd possible reason is the display shows relative charge of the battery. As the temps drop, the absolute battery capacity drops, so for the same amount of charge, it shows up as a higher charge relative to the max the battery is capable at that temp, similar to how air feels more humid when the temp drops during end of the day, even though no moisture as been added or removed from the atmosphere. As the air cools, it can't hold as much water, so the relative humidity rises. As the battery cools, it can't hold as much charge, so the relative charge increases on the display.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Magic 37F Number

Any idea why 37F was the number that was chosen for this feature? I would have though 32F would be more realistic for freezing roadways.

I've have observed the 37F text message on my 2006 MFD appearing even though the temp says 39F. It seems to get slightly befuddled. If I'm close to 37F, it will sometimes pop up multiple times in quickly as I'm driving down the road.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Roads can freeze at higher air temperatures due to exposed winds causing evaporative cooling. That's why you see signs in the Carolinas warning you that bridge surfaces freeze before the main road does.
The water is still freezing at 32 degrees because of wind chill, but the air's actual temperature on dry surfaces can be higher.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.