Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My snowflake has been on for 3 days now. It means that the outside temp is 37 degrees or below. But what's the rationale? I already know it's cold out--10 degrees wind chill, winter coat, frost on windshield, and the MFD shows outside temp.

p.s. Florida and California posters stop your chuckling.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
The logic is that in the high 30s black ice and hazardous road conditions can start to form. Get the correct humidity, dew point and a temp getting close to freezing but not solid freezing and you can end up with very dangerous roads. So the yellow snowflake comes up.

This isn't all that different since most cars in production today with interior temp displays have some functionality like this. At Ford, if you have the large temp display in your vehicle it will flash ICE in the display for about a minute once 37 degrees outside temp has been reached.

If you look real closely at the yellow snowflake, it is more than just a snowflake, it is a road behind the snowflake. I'm not much on auto hieroglyphics, however if you take the time to really look at it, I think it makes the point.

Welcome to yellow snowflake season. :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Atleast you don't have the dreaded "hurricane" hieroglyphic over the little road symbol hazard light!

(Gulf Coast Priuses only) 8)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, jeromep, what you write is informative. I'll look at the yellow snowflake more closely. My sympathies to Floridians and other hurricane victims--I'll put up with the cold. Only my dog eats yellow snowflakes.

·
Registered
150 Posts
heheheee *snort* hehehee

Yesterday, a radio announcer said: Well, folks..the cold snap is here! Highs today will be 75!!!! 8)

·
Registered
457 Posts
My snowflake has been on for 3 days now
What's a snow flake..? ~JD~

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dznyskp said:
heheheee *snort* hehehee

Yesterday, a radio announcer said: Well, folks..the cold snap is here! Highs today will be 75!!!! 8)
He'd get booted out of town around here. (snow booted) :evil:

·
Registered
420 Posts
At what temperature does the snowflake turn OFF? It turns on at 37 degrees and stays on if the temperature rises to 38 or 39 degrees (I presume this is just a thermostat-like fudge factor, so it's not flashing on and off all the time); and I've seen it turn off when the temperature jumped from 39 to 41 degrees, but I haven't ever noticed what it did at 40 degrees. (Yes, even I look at the road now and then! :shock: )

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
coloradospringsprius said:
At what temperature does the snowflake turn OFF? It turns on at 37 degrees and stays on if the temperature rises to 38 or 39 degrees (I presume this is just a thermostat-like fudge factor, so it's not flashing on and off all the time); and I've seen it turn off when the temperature jumped from 39 to 41 degrees, but I haven't ever noticed what it did at 40 degrees. (Yes, even I look at the road now and then! :shock: )
The indicator turns off after the temperature rises above 39 degrees. However, if the indicator is on and the temperature is above 37 degrees and you shut down, the indicator will be off when you restart.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
coloradospringsprius said:
The outside temperature probe actually records the temperature in degrees C, and then converts it to degrees F display for the US market. Since the conversion involves a 1.6F to a 1 degree C change, with rounding typically you'll only see degree changes of about 2F. So, there are many degrees F that you don't see displayed as outside temperature. Unfortunately, I do not have my nice list of displayed degrees F for degrees C table handy to post here...

·
Registered
457 Posts
I saw snow in Korea in 1952. I left there as soon as possible.
If some Govt agency offers to send you there, all expenses paid, DON'T GO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Snowflake?

At first I thought you were talking about the little graphic which represents the fan. My bad. Haven't seen the snowflake yet but weather man is predicting a cold Thanksgiving...75 degrees. :lol: I am NOT chuckling.

Millenium Silver '05 in Miami

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I suppose everything is put into perspective. Our weathermen are telling us it's going to warm up today--we're supposed to hit 40. And we're actually welcoming the news!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts