Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put snow tires on a Prius? It may sound like sacrilege, but I drive snowy mountain roads 60 miles a day, five months a year so I've always used them (sometimes studs) on my other cars.
Any advice welcome! Thanks.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I haven't yet, but am planning to get a set pre-mounted on steel wheels from tirerack or discount tire...might as well, it's basically free except for the cost of the steel wheels, considering that the other tires are resting during those months. if you get 'em, please post your experience, as you'll surely beat me to it.

rob

·
Registered
623 Posts
Sacrilege? Not at all! If you're driving in a lot of snow it makes sense. On any car. I haven't decided yet. But here in Fargo ice is a bigger issue than snow, as I wait for the snowplow before I go out. So my conditions are different than yours.

John1701a is using Hydroedge tires, and can be counted on for a report on his web page as soon as it snows in Minneapolis. But those are not snow tires. They are an all-season tire that's expected to do pretty well in snow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am currently looking at Getting Blizzak snow tires for my '01 prius.
All the reviews I have read say that it should be ok.

here are a couple quotes from people using these on their prius.

From "Steve's Toyota Prius Page" http://www.ameritech.net/users/sbottorff/prius.htm

" We have been running 4 Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires on Echo steel rims this winter with good results."

From http://www.1010tires.com/Bridgestone_Bl ... tires.html

"01 toyota Prius We run the XL version (blizzak). Used two seasons on our carshare vehicles, still some tread left. Some customers complain about them being too soft laterally on dry pavement. I am looking to replace them with a different, stiffer, more reinforced tire for the extra weight of the Prius. Would recommend them for most other cars, for the price."

If I decide to get them I will let you all know the results

Later

Tux42

G

·
0 Posts
Snow Tires

We just purchased a new set of Gislaved snow tires (non studded) for our 05 Prius. I will let the group know how they handle after the first few months of winter driving. We have been running Gislaved on our other cars for several years and have had very good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts