Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy snow tires for my 2005 Prius. I don't know if I should buy another set of rims or swap the tires on the factory set of rims. I went to a Firestone/Michelin Dealer and they said they would not have any rims for such a new and different car....

What has people done in the past?? This is the first time I have ever purchased snow tires....alll of my other vehicles were 4WD!!

Also what are some recomendations on great snow tires for the Prius?? I live in Northern New York and get quite a bit of snow.

Thanks A Million!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I used to live in the Lake Erie snow belt just below Buffalo. I didn't have my Prius then but I used 4 snow tires and I had rims on all of them. It just made sense to me.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Get a separate set of steel rims. It makes it easier to change tyres and also puts less stress on the tyres as you don't have ot remove them and replace them on the rims twice a year.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've got a set of steelies for my Subaru. I did a search on http://www.tirerack.com/ but for the Prius it claims that there are no steel wheels available for it. It does have two choices of alloy...but it might be worth it to wait until perhaps they offer steels at the right size.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
First off, give Toyota a call and see if their parts dept can order you two new wheels for the front snows. I wouldn't worry about the rear that some might suggest you need for braking. If the new Toyota Prius wheels are exhortative then check out all the Prius nets for someone who has replaced their wheels and has a set of old Prius laying a round and third, go to your local salvage yard and get them to check their computer for a pair of wheels. There have been more than a few Prius salvaged and most all of their parts are put into the computer.
I might check further on the net for a pair of similar wheels. If people can find 17 inch that will fit their wheels you should be able to find a pair in standard size.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
I have this info for a 2004-2005 North American Prius:

(page 313 of the 2004 US Owner's Manual): Wheel size, standard: 15 x 6JJ

This is what was reported after the 2003-2004 winter:
The 2004 wheel rim info is: PCD 100mm, offset 45mm, 5 holes
An '03 or '04 Corolla or Matrix should have the same rims...

However, I'm thinking of putting snows on my 2001 this year. (My first time with snow tires.) Can anyone help me with the rim info? I know that the Bridgestone Blizzaks are Toyota recommended, but I'm leaning to looking for some Nokians... (I'll also probably need to replace my "all season" tires soon, too, again leaning for the Nokians)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts