Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I visit a local military facility quite often. The base is flooded with RF energy that renders use of the keyless remote on my truck useless. I suspect this is done because the base is home to the Navy's Tactical Electronic jammer airplanes. I have to open the doors with the key and lock them with the door switch. This would make the automatic system impossible to use, unless the car has a traditional key lock as well as the magic fob. Are Smart Start cars equipped with traditional locks and keys?

I actually replaced a good remote battery the first time I thought the remote had failed. It would be embarrasing to lock myself out of a brand new car... especially with the nearest Toyota deater 40 miles away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I looked at a Prius fob. It does indeed have a little hide-away key stored inside it for emergencies. I believe the drivers' door has a key hole.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Pete. I figured there had to be a way to deal with it. Otherwise, if the 12 volt battery fails, it would be impossible to get into the car. :shock:

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
If you have the smart entry & smart start system,
there is a disable switch under the
steering wheel.

The fob has a little mechanical key
hidden in it. Should the little
fob's battery die, or the Prius' 12v
accessory battery die, you can still
enter the driver's door or the hatch
with the mechanical key (the only
places with keyholes).

The fob can always be used to start
the 2004, even if it has a dead fob battery)
as the Prius activates the fob if it's
in the dash.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts