Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, saw this on CNN.com this morning

"Toyota/Citizen key watch:
This fall in Japan, Toyota is scheduled to release a wristwatch that doubles as an electronic key for its Crown car model. The gadget, developed with watchmaker Citizen, looks like an ordinary high-end watch, but it unlocks the door of the Toyota Crown when the wearer grabs the handle. A button on the side of the watch allows for keyless power locking and unlocking."

Damn Japanese, always saving the cool toys for the home market!

Spike

Want to add a picture, but can't seem to. Not a bad looking watch.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and that should be a good call to AAA

me "I can't get in my car"

them "why"

me "I forgot my watch"

them "Umm, OK, but why can't you get in your car"

me "I forgot my watch"

them "and you left your key with your watch?"

and so on

Spike

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
There are a couple of threads on this over at PriusChat. So far no word from our Japanese friends that this will work on the Prius...seems it's only for the Crown line, though I'm not sure why it would be any different.

Further complicating things is uncertainty whether a special tool would be necessary to program the watch/fob.

I would love to find one of these in my Christmas stocking this year, but by the time we got one to the US cost would be close to $400 and we don't know yet if it would work.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=11678&hl=

·
Registered
736 Posts
smartkey+

This sounds very convenient, but what about the time you leave the regular fob at home and need to valet park? Your going to give your watch to the attendant? It is hard enough teaching them how to start and drive the car as it is. I've been parking mine at the same building for two years now, and some of the valets still haven't caught on.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Re: smartkey+

Roger V said:
This sounds very convenient, but what about the time you leave the regular fob at home and need to valet park? Your going to give your watch to the attendant? It is hard enough teaching them how to start and drive the car as it is. I've been parking mine at the same building for two years now, and some of the valets still haven't caught on.
Some of those issues are discussed in the thread.

I think one would be wise to keep a fob, sans battery, in the glove box for those purposes. Also, keeping a mechanical key hidden on the car in case the battery in the watch died would be important too.

In my case I'd probably keep the mechanical key on my key chain since I usually need to have it for my work key anyway. Short trips I don't think would be an issue/concern about having the mechanical key along.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If I had this, not only would it be a good replacement for my dead USB-memory-drive watch, but I wouldn't have to carry any keys any more!

I want to know if it works with the Prius. If so, it's DEFINITELY going on my gift list.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts