Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know the strength of the signal emitted by the smart keys, aka how powerful / dangerous it is ?

Bob

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Well, the system can't hear the smart key more than a few feet away...

On the other hand, I can leave my phone in the house and still use bluetooth from the end of my driveway.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I would think that environmental suit you're wearing in your avatar would protect you from any dangerous cell phone waves, Mel!

:D

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
BIF said:
I would think that environmental suit you're wearing in your avatar would protect you from any dangerous cell phone waves, Mel!

:D
No way dude, I want those 'dangerous waves'. I'm hoping to be the 1 in 10 billion that gets a beneficial mutation instead of brain tumors.

Psychic Powers here I come

·
Registered
363 Posts
UclaBob said:
Does anybody know the strength of the signal emitted by the smart keys, aka how powerful / dangerous it is ?

Bob
Well it's less powerful than your TV remote (as evidenced by the fact that the batteries last longer).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Battery life isn't all that good an indicator. If the smart key is more efficient, it could be more powerful and use less energy. But their emissions shouldn't be a concern. The fact that they are so short range is the better indicator that they are weak.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Probably weak, yes. But since I'm planning on carrying the fob in my pants pocket for around 10 hours per day for the next 10 years, that would still represent a great deal of exposure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't think the Fob is continually broadcasting. It would just be listening. The car does the continual sending (a few times a second).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rich D. said:
I don't think the Fob is continually broadcasting. It would just be listening. The car does the continual sending (a few times a second).
Ahh, interesting. Does anybody know anything more about this ?

I guess the model could be:

Car Broadcast
FOB -> reply with authentication
Car Respond.

As opposed to:

FOB -> Continously broadcast
Car respond

I'm also curious as to how secure the FOB broadcasts are, would it be possible for someone to "clone it" (although they would have to be standing really really close to you in order to do it).

Bob

·
Registered
111 Posts
One confirmation of this is the fact that the owner's manual warns against leaveing the FOB near the car. Doing so would wear down the FOB battery.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
UclaBob said:
I'm also curious as to how secure the FOB broadcasts are, would it be possible for someone to "clone it" (although they would have to be standing really really close to you in order to do it).

Bob
The fob uses a rolling code, much like most modern garage door openers. That is why you have to register the key with the car.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The car brodcasts by default every 300ms, and if in range the fob replys.

Yo can configure the cars transmission interval, or better said, your dealer can, using the Intelegent Tester 2. Ive played with this fantastic device, and adjusted my car to broadcast every 500ms to prolong "parked" 12v battery life. :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts