Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering about the range of the smart key system. Since I park my car just outside my window approx. 3 metres away, will the car be unlocked if a use this feature? I assume the car locks itself when I get out of the smart keys range, right?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
sprett said:
I was wondering about the range of the smart key system. Since I park my car just outside my window approx. 3 metres away, will the car be unlocked if a use this feature? I assume the car locks itself when I get out of the smart keys range, right?
The SKS only activates the exterior door sensors at a distance of about 3-4 feet, but I think Toyota recommends keeping the fob something like 20 feet away? (someone'll check me on that)

The car does NOT lock itself when you get out of range. To lock the car with the SKS you actually have to have the fob within sensor range and then press the black button on either the driver's door, passenger door, or hatch and it will lock the entire car.

Note, also, that it will not unlock until you touch the sensor on the driver or passenger door and until you depress the button on the hatch (which activates the rear oscillator to detect the fob--the front door sensors remain active at all times unless you intentionally turn off the SKS).

·
Registered
610 Posts
:idea: I frequently lock my Prius from 10' to 35' using the "lock" button on the fob (I have the SKS system). Sometimes (if I neglected to lock the prius when I parked on our driveway) I lock through my living room window at a range of about 20 feet. My fob is over a year old and the fob battery has not been replaced.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, If I got this right, locking the car is just like any other car with remote controlled locks. But unlocking the car is just like magic (as long as the "key" is in very close range of the car. But there still is a button on the remote to unlock it from, say, 20 feet. Sounds good...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
sprett said:
So, If I got this right, locking the car is just like any other car with remote controlled locks. But unlocking the car is just like magic (as long as the "key" is in very close range of the car. But there still is a button on the remote to unlock it from, say, 20 feet. Sounds good...
Mostly correct. The difference with the SKS is that I think most of us never touch the buttons on the fob. It stays in our pocket/purse/whatever.

I walk to my car, touch the handle as if to open the door, hear the 'beep-beep' and just open up, all in one smooth motion usually.

I sit down, press the brake then the Power button and put on my seat belt while the car goes through it's usual start-up routine into Ready mode.

When I stop the car I again hit the power button, get out, close the door, and hit the black button on the door handle to lock-up and walk away. Never touching the key fob or even giving it a thought.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
efusco said:
Mostly correct. The difference with the SKS is that I think most of us never touch the buttons on the fob. It stays in our pocket/purse/whatever.

I walk to my car, touch the handle as if to open the door, hear the 'beep-beep' and just open up, all in one smooth motion usually.

I sit down, press the brake then the Power button and put on my seat belt while the car goes through it's usual start-up routine into Ready mode.

When I stop the car I again hit the power button, get out, close the door, and hit the black button on the door handle to lock-up and walk away. Never touching the key fob or even giving it a thought.
Yup, that's the way it works...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Car runs with fob 100+ feet away?

I had my 2005 Prius at a client, parked it, set the brake and hit the power (or so I thought). I walked away and spent the next 2 hours doing work more than 100 feet away from the car.

When I returned, the car was still running. The AC had kept the car nice and cool, and it was waiting for me to put it into Drive.

Please tell me that this is not the way this is supposed to work. Why wouldn't the car turn itself off without a fob present after 2 HOURS?

I eagerly await feedback / comments

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Scenario: Pull over, change drivers; former driver leaves with SKS fob accidentally in pocket. Current driver is on freeway when car spontaneously shuts down.

Is this what you are advocating?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
No, but I suppose it could automatically shut off in park after an hour, just as ACC mode does.

That could make for an interesting mod.
When fob missing light engaged, car in READY, car in PARK, and one hour elapses, send one pulse to the power button. Verify power button status is not amber or green, or READY. If so, send another pulse, once a second, until no READY status, or no amber or green status.
Actually, the power status can be obtained from ACC, IG1, and IG2 outputs from the power ECU.
Not sure where to get the Missing Fob indication without tapping into the combination meter though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fob in passenger seat vs 100 feet away

I would not want the car to shut down if the Fob is within say, 20 feet of the car. That would be silly. But if I'm not anywhere near the vehicle, I want it to shut down and lock.

What I was looking for someone to tell me was if this was intended behavior or if it was a bug.

The way it behaves now, I feel like someone could carjack me and drive off and it wouldn't matter that I had the fob in my pocket. They could get clear into the next state without the car's key???

So, bug or feature?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Hit the panic button, and he'll have plenty of attention on him as he tries to get to the next state!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
SKS won't work that far. Its range is about 5 feet.
But as we stated, you would not want the car to shut off if you were driving and SKS should decide to fail, such as someone accidentally crushing the fob, or its battery dying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In Park

Well, as you said yourself, you wouldn't want it to shut off while you are driving. I agree.

Are you driving while the car is iin park?

Are you driving if there is no weight in the driver or passenger seats (and thereby alerting a sensor that the seatbelts are not fastened)?

If I'm not driving, in park, not sitting in the seat, and the fob is well out of range, I want my car to shut off. Is that too much to expect?

Perhaps I'm asking this question of the wrong people. Do any Toyota reps reply to posts here?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"Is that too much to expect? "

I dunno, is it asking too much to press one button before you leave the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Too much to expect

Well, if someone has a real answer, as opposed to this helpful citizen, please post.

All I want to know is: Is my car behaving as designed?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Re: Too much to expect

MechaMoose said:

Consider this. You have a car with an ignition key. You park up and leave the key in the on position without switching the key to off. You get out of the car and walk away. Does your car switch off after a while? Probably not, unless you run out of gas or the car has a fault.

Where is the difference to the Prius other than your key is electronic rather than a bit of stammped metal?

So yes, your car is working as designed.
Operator error!

:roll:

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Yes, it is working as designed. Now would it be possible for Toyota to add to SKS and the power ECU to check if the FOB still exists, and if not, power down after a lenthy interval, if conditions warranted it to be safe (In park)? Yes, they could, just as they have the Prius power off after one hour in ACC.

Unfortunately, the power ECU doesn't check SKS for ACC auto-powerdown, and it doesn't power down in READY. I believe the reason for this is because SKS is like an add-on. The power ECU doesn't treat SKS much different than if the FOB was in the slot. I suppose the power ECU doesn't feel that there should be re-checking, since you can't pull the FOB out of the slot in READY. Otherwise, someone might object to the car powering down automatically when they are reading,sleeping, watching a movie for several hours in the comfort of AC in READY mode.
As it is, I have mixed feelings about auto-powerdown in ACC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Too much to expect

MechaMoose said:
Yes, it is behaving precisely as designed.

If you want the car to turn off, you need to turn it off yourself, or get someone else to do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
SMARTKEY FUNCTIONING

After 1.5yrs of ownership, and reading this post, I decided I'd finally push the smartkey enable button & enjoy the function. The bluetooth & gps was all the high teck I could stand up to this point. So, I pushed the button, and nothing. I still have to punch the power button to power up.
Sugestions? I know it can't be a low battery, as one of my FOBs is new, and freshly programed by Toyota ... unless NONE of my FOBs was programed right.
Thanks!
Gary

1 - 20 of 28 Posts