Toyota Prius Forum banner

Smart Key System (2006) only working on hatch door!??!

16K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  mrv 
khermans said:
Nope, don't think the black button on the driver's handle locked the doors! So, does this mean it could be wiring issue? The tech tried the same thing, and also was puzzled. I still have no idea, and they don't either :-(
OK, this probably isn't the real reason, but that statement made me wonder.

Is it possible that the other key fob is still in the Prius? I know if one is inside the doors won't lock. Also, with the car being so new it seems that the second one might never have been taken out.

I didn't see that they tried both key fobs with the same results.

OverTork said:
khermans said:
HOWEVER -- I don't think that it is inside the car for one main reason. THE DOORS LOCK WITH THE REMOTE WHEN I PRESS THE LOCK BUTTON! Doesn't that rule out the battery on the fob AND that the other fob could not be inside the car?
When I left my spare FOB in the car I could still lock and unlock the car with the FOB I was holding. I just couldn't do it with the black button on the door handle.
I can also verify that OverTork is correct. So it is looking more and more like that other FOB is in the car somewhere. The fact that they delivered it without the second FOB also seems questionable. And if Toyota would let a car out with such major problems immediately also sounds questionable.

Before I would let them tear the car apart and TRY to put it back together, I would definitely locate the other FOB. If I'm wrong at least this possibility will be ruled out.

Re: Smart Key

mrv said:
However, you NEED one working keyfob (or a master key for a Classic) in order to start the programming procedure for a new keyfob. No registered master key, and you cannot add another key. So if you loose ALL of your keys, the only way to add a new one is to get a new security ECU ($600-$1000 US).
I'm glad I found that out. I'll be taking the gold bars out of the safe deposit box and putting the other Prius fob in. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.