Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got out of my car today the car gave a few seconds beep when I tried to lock the door and would not lock. According to the owner's manual, this kind of signal means the key is inside the car, but my key was in my coat pocket. It happened twice - first at the shopping center, then in my garage. The door won't lock when this happens, hence my concern. Is my smart key malfunctioning or am I doing something wrong?

kathy

·
Registered
31 Posts
smart entry

This happens to me the other day but I noticed when I got back in the car that it was still on! I hit park, but I must've not hit the start/off button when I first got out. So it was still running.

Geno

·
Registered
31 Posts
smart entry

This happened to me the other day but I noticed when I got back in the car that it was still on! I hit park, but I must've not hit the start/off button when I first got out. So it was still running.

Geno

·
Registered
43 Posts
If I don't make sure my hatch is completely closed, I get this. Also, the "open door" icon stays lite in the dash. The icon doesn't show which door, so you may have to check them all.

I think the others reasons will also cause this, so you may have to check them all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Smart key

I also had similar problems . The abnormality was inconstant but I fianlly figured it out. It ony occured when my cell phone( a sprint LG) phone was plugged int to the socket in the arm rest. Since I changed phones I not longer have this problem. My car works perfectly. Best of luck, but look to see if you have a cell phone or other electric devise in that plug site. I have a 04 Prius with #9 package.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try standing farther from the car when locking it. When I am standing against the car when attampting to lock it, the car will sometimes think that the key is still in the car even though it is in my pocket.

·
Registered
56 Posts
walkingtall said:
When I got out of my car today the car gave a few seconds beep when I tried to lock the door and would not lock. According to the owner's manual, this kind of signal means the key is inside the car, but my key was in my coat pocket. It happened twice - first at the shopping center, then in my garage. The door won't lock when this happens, hence my concern. Is my smart key malfunctioning or am I doing something wrong?

kathy
Kathy,

Your door was not closed all the way. The beep occurs when any door (or the hatch) is not closed all the way and you attempt to lock the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions...finally figured it out - I was carrying the fob in an armband wallet I use at the gym, and pressing the lock botton with the same arm, hence the fob was inches from the door. Using the other arm to lock the door solved the problem..

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
walkingtall said:
Thanks for all the suggestions...finally figured it out - I was carrying the fob in an armband wallet I use at the gym, and pressing the lock botton with the same arm, hence the fob was inches from the door. Using the other arm to lock the door solved the problem..
Glad that solved it, but it doesn't make much sense to me still.... Unless the proximity was so close that it created some sort of interference, but I don't see that. I keep my key in my pocket which is almost exactly level with the door handle when I press the button and have never had a problem with the door locking improperly. Often the fob is only 6-12 inches from the handle.

Not that I doubt you, but I'd repeat the experiment (1000 times with each hand should do! :shock: ) to make sure that's really the cause. If you're still sure do post back as it will be informative for others in the future no doubt.
--evan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts