Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Smart Keys are not working...

The only way I can unlock the car is with the mechanical key. And the only way to start the car is to insert the FOB in the dash. The cancel button is "OFF" (out position) and the FOBS seem to be doing their thing. If I press a button on the FOB the LED light blinks and if I walk close to the doors with the FOB the LED also starts blinking.

The problem is identical with both FOBs.

Anyone have any ideas???

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Hey, jeggers,

I don't think there's any difference in SKS operation between the '04, '05, or '06 model years(mine is an '05).

My question to you is : Is the buttton you're talking about really a "Cancel" button, in which case you think that the "in" position is SKS canceled & the "out" position is SKS active? I believe the button is NOT a "cancel" button, but simply to "activate" the SKS (the "in" position being ON or ACTIVE, & the "out" positin being OFF or NOT ACTIVE). Try pushing the button "in" (if you haven't already) & you should be able to touch the door handle to enter & just press the power button (without "docking" the fob) to start your car.

My Prius was delivered with the SKS active & I have never changed that status, but right now I'm NOT going out to my car to check that button or to bring the manual back in to read (like I would normally do). I might be totally wrong about the SKS but I won't know until the morning because it's 1:00AM & just a short time ago the dogs went nuts & I threw on the outside lights (I think now I really should be using FLOODLIGHTS instead of standard 60 watt bulbs). I was able to just make out a prowler down in my driveway checking out our 2 cars with a flashlight, so I called the State Police (we have no local force in our little hick town) & I'm still wait'g for them to arrive & check out my cars & yard.

Somebody else please step in & give the correct answer if I am wrong.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I hate to suggest something really stupid, but I'm sure that you have double-checked the switch that you latch in to enable the smart keys and latch out to disable them. This is the switch down below the steering wheel on the left-hand side of the bank of three switch positions (mine only has two installed). If you haven't, for some reason, and if that switch is out, it will produce the exact symptoms you've described. In case you have double-checked this switch and found that it is set correctly, it is the most likely culprit for needing repair at the dealer's service department.

I think that Ken worded it better than I have.

Ken, I hope that your state police found the guy. Did they? Please let us know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for this help. The "cancel" button is in the correct position (out) and I have double checked that. The FOBs don't even unlock the doors, never mind let me enter the car or start the car in smart mode. So my first suspicion was the FOB battery was bad. But the LEDs on the FOBs would indicate otherwise. And the fact that both FOBs are doing the exact same thing also indicates otherwise.

Hope the prowler was caught and you ended up getting some rest. With gas prices rising I guess we can expect more Prius thefts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem is definitely intermittent. I had it at the dealer today and it was working OK. No problem.

Get home and it is doing it again. Ugh. It is laughing at me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is there a strong transmitter in your neighbourhood? The signal may interfere with the carkit. Also, when I put the key in my bag, behind my pda, it doesn't work. I also read that mobile phones may interfere with the SKS.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Even if the LED on the fob lights, it still could be low. Try changing the battery anyway, esp. if it is a few years old.

The fob buttons will work the car whether SKS is on or off by the way.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
O.K.,jeggers,

You were correct in call'g it a "cancel" button as I now see in my owner's manual, & the "out" position was correct to have the SKS work [as I verified by the manual & my own car (yes, it's still here after the prowler incident)]. So I think DanMan's & Marco's suggestions are most likely going to be your fix, as they are also mentioned in the ('05 at least) owner's manual.

As far as my prowler (thanks everyone for being concerned) : the state police dispatcher called back (after I put the 1st post here) to tell me that a Trooper had been in my yard with a K-9 track'g dog look'g for somebody they had been pursuing who had bailed out of their car & fled on foot in my neighborhood. I felt better but the problem for me is : who did I actually see? The shadowey figure didn't appear to be wear'g a "Smokey Bear" hat or have any shiney "uniform accesories" & I didn't see or hear anything resembling a K-9 track'g dog. I'm glad I always keep my house & cars locked at night.

So, jeggers, let us know when your SKS is work'g properly again & what the fix was.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.