Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Prius today and the book says you shouldn't keep the smart key within 5 feet of a cell phone, a computer, or other devices emitting electomagnetic radiation. I'm thinking about returning the car because there's no way I can follow those restrictions. Has anyone had any problems with their smart keys? I'd appreciate any input.

·
Registered
54 Posts
carolyn said:
I just got a Prius today and the book says you shouldn't keep the smart key within 5 feet of a cell phone, a computer, or other devices emitting electomagnetic radiation. I'm thinking about returning the car because there's no way I can follow those restrictions. Has anyone had any problems with their smart keys? I'd appreciate any input.

I used to store my cell phone in the glasses compartment, and that's less than 5 feet from the key. Yes, the phone was on, and I never had a problem. Don't let that scare you away.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Wow, never read that. Keep both in my jean pocket on most days, sometimes the same pocket, sometimes not. Either way, much less than 5'. Never an issue, in almost a year.

Spike

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
carolyn said:
...the book says you shouldn't keep the smart key within 5 feet of a cell phone, a computer...
I never saw that in my "book". Guess it's too late now. I've had my 04 for over a year and have never had a problem with SKS/SS. Maybe ignorance is bliss!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Right now my smart key is 2' from my computer and 1' from my cell phone. No problems in 8 months. Smart key is the best innovation in a car since automatic transmission. DOD

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
You certainly got my curiousity up. I had not remembered the statement because the book only said smart key "may not function properly" around the close proximity of cell-phones or two way radios. I guess if one of them ever failed, we would be reading about it here.
If the warning had mentioned diarrhea, or vomiting it would have gotten my attention.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
occasionally the smart key may not work, as a cell phone or some other electronic device could block the signals. It is also possible that the interaction between an active cell phone and the smartkey may cause the smartkey's battery to run down a little earlier than otherwise.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I carry both my cell phone and my smart key in my purse... different pockets but only about 2 inches from each other. I have noticed occasionally that my smart key won't be detected unless I move my purse to a different angle. Maybe it's because of the cell phone.

Thanks. I learned something today. :D

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
carolyn said:
the book says you shouldn't keep the smart key within 5 feet of a cell phone, a computer, or other devices emitting electomagnetic radiation.
Hmm... maybe it wasn't the nav override... maybe my cell phone is causing the dirt on the rear bumper. ... maybe...

·
Registered
6 Posts
5 feet? Wow...

I keep the keys and cell phone in my pants - one side or another. Never a problem. Don't sweat the 5 foot comment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts