Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently went on a trip where my Prius would be sitting for a week so I turned the smart key off with the button under the dash. When I got back in it today, I turned the button on to activate the smart key. Starting the car without the key in the slot was fine but it no longer unlocked the doors as I approached the car. The manual says to stand outside the car and push the lock button on the door handle while the key was in range and this would reactivate it but no go. What's up? BTW, the dash ligh does indicate a smart key is in range.

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The doors do not unlock spontaneously when you approach the car. You have to touch the back side of the door handle, or in the case of the hatch, operate the hatch latch. When you do either of these, it checks if you have the fob with you, and unlocks if you do.

The dome lights will come on when you approach either front door though if the car is locked.

Does the remote function work?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'd love to know that, too! I experienced the panic when I couldnt get into my locked Saturn because the battery in the fob was suddenly dead. It's been 2 years already on my Prius fob . . .

Susan

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
The battery will last until the most inconvenient time to fail. Of course you can still open the car with the mechanical key and put the fob in the slot and it will start, so battery failure is not a big problem. Mine is still fine after two years.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Owner's manual says 1-3 years on average. The car is supposed to give one beep inside the car when you power off after 20 minutes or more of it being on if the battery is low.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hep said:
The battery will last until the most inconvenient time to fail. Of course you can still open the car with the mechanical key and put the fob in the slot and it will start, so battery failure is not a big problem. Mine is still fine after two years.
That's so reassuring! I had forgotten about the failsafe in the SS system. Another piece of cool engineering in my most favorite car I've ever owned. (Don't burst my bubble and tell me lots of cars have this feature now . . . :oops: )

Susan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.