Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
smartkey+

I just changed the batteries in my smartkeys. You will need a really tiny screwdriver, like the ones for the screws in eyeglasses, to take off the inside cover.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Opening the smart key to change the battery.

Remove the backup key from the Fob by sliding the release latch.
This can be done by placing the fob in your left hand so you can see push buttons. Slide the latch using your finger nail away from the key ring. Using your right hand jently extract the backup key.
Once the spare key has been removed flip over the fob so that you are looking at the backside. You will notice their is a raised edge on the backside of the remote. The raised edge needs to be facing away from you. Place your thumb against this edge. Now use your other hand slide the latch in the same direction as you did before to remove the spare key.
While the latch is slid over. slide the back cover off the fob in the same direction, as whe backup key was removed.
Under the back cover you will see four very small phillips screws holding the battery cover. You will need to remove these screws to change the battery. On the battery cover is the type number of the of battery used. :arrow: # CR2032 is the type battery my fob uses.
Besure and install the battery correctly, not backwards
Re-install the battery cover. Replace the screws.
Slide the back cover back on. Make sure it lies flat as you slide it on.
Slide the latch so that the cover slides on completely.
Replace the back up key, and slide the latch so that key goes all the way into the fob.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
It sounds worse than it is. The key is, you have to be sure you are pushing the latch as far as it will go, and at the same time with your other hand push the back of the fob in the direction of the latch.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes it does sound hard to replace the fob's battery.
But I tried to be real descriptive of how to replace the battery.
Since I didn't post pictures.
The battery is inexpensive, and relatively easy to replace.
Since my battery will be two years old in july. I will simply replace it then.
http://www.energy4you.net

·
Registered
198 Posts
I smell money...

Perhaps this is a business opportunity. 8)

Just mail me your fob, a self addressed return envelope, replacement batteries, a handling charge of $25, and I'll insert the batteries and return the fob in 24 hours or less.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine wouldn't come apart without some extra persuasion. I gently but firmly put the fob into a vice, positioning the latch-end of the fob at the open end of the vice. Then, I used a 1/8" flat head screw driver to gently start the cover sliding off the housing by working the screwdriver into the latch cavity while holding the latch open with my other hand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.