Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, when I approached my car - it didn't make the familiar beep - I was hoping it had been locked but, I don't think it was. When I returned home it wouldn't let me lock the doors - it would beep 3 times and the smart entry key would lite up on the dash - I pulled out the old owners manual (it's a lot like "our bodies ourselves for Prius...) however - i didn't see anything in there that would explain the 3 beeps - it was like it thought there was another key inside - I looked everywhere but couldn't find one - so finally I just turned off the smart entry and gave up for the nite.

Now, when it's locked, the door won't beep and open, but the car will start with the key in my pocket - whoa is me - what shall I do? Worst case I'll visit my neighborhood toyota dealer - but I didn't buy from them cuz they were a tad jerky to me....Anyway, I'll swallow my pride if I can't get an answer from y'all...

Thank you!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Under the Steering wheel, there is a black button for the SE/SS. It should be out to work. So, go to that, push it, and give the SE/SS a try. That sounds like the problem.

-Brian

·
Registered
425 Posts
I dont think thats the problem Brian, She said the SE wouldnt work but the SS would.

It sounds to me that either the SE/SS ECU has got messed up, or the door sensor is not working.

Try going to the car from the other side with SS/SE turned on. Will the door unlock as normal? How about the trunk? If these work, but the drivers door doesnt, then there is a problem with the drivers side door transeiver and you need to get the dealer to fix it.

Next check the SS/SE key fob. Use the spare, and see if that works ok.

If not I guess the ECU has a problem. If it doesn then ask the dealer to delete and reprogram the original fob back into the car in case the code has got screwed up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After reading and re-reading the Smart Entry section of the manual - I broke down and called the dealer in Palo Alto - he suggested bringing it in (approx 1 hour away) or taking to Toyota Santa Cruz - he wasn't familiar with the problem -

So....I read the manual AGAIN and found a little tiny paragraph about resetting Smart Entry - It just said to push and hold the outside button on the door for a few seconds until it locks - and like magic - it worked. The Smart Entry is working fine again!

With every new challenge my confidence grows...It's great to have this site here tho!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts