Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The key fob that governs the Smart Entry/Start has a battery inside. What happens when the battery fails? You can use the hidden key to gain entry, but are you out of luck when it comes to starting your car? Will it work if you insert it into the port while the battery is depleted, or should I keep a spare remote battery in the glove box? What type/size of battery is it? What do you guys do?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Richard said:
The key fob that governs the Smart Entry/Start has a battery inside. What happens when the battery fails? You can use the hidden key to gain entry, but are you out of luck when it comes to starting your car? Will it work if you insert it into the port while the battery is depleted, or should I keep a spare remote battery in the glove box? What type/size of battery is it? What do you guys do?
Soemwhere in the manual it says that the car will start by putting the fob in the slot, regardless of the fob battery power. I haven't verified it though.

Perhaps someone would like to remove their battery and test it out?

Thanks,
Shawn

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have tested it out, but I think it requires a screwdriver that I don't have within arm's reach. That combined with my extreme laziness causes me to give up. LAZY WINS

·
Registered
319 Posts
How would it work, it needs a signal and with no battery, how would it work?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Oh, I see. Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
49 Posts
works great

Pulled the battery put the cover back on put the fob in its slot and powered up then powered off

Put the battery back in and locked the doors

1 - 8 of 8 Posts