Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I hope someone can help me. I did a search and didn't find anything. My wife came out of work and the car doesn't seem to recognize the key. It doesn't automatically unlock/lock doors nor does it start without the key in the ignition. My wife states the key worked when she left the vehicle in the morning. But in the afternoon, while walking to the car the key wouldn't work. I tried using the spare key & the car doesn't recognize it either. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Even with that button set to turn SKS off, remote door lock function should still work (pressing the buttons on the FOB) and the car should power up with the fob in the slot in the dash.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Two thoughts:
How's the battery in the keyfob? Does the little red LED blink at you when you press the lock/unlock buttons on it? If the fob's battery is dead, then it cannot respond to the Smart queries and it cannot do the remote lock/unlock, but it can still be put into the dash slot to start the car.

Also, is it now working now that she has left the area? Some people have reported some areas of stray interference that prevents the fob from working, but usually around some transmission towers or military installations.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The mechanical key didn't work? That doesn't make sense at all...did it work before (did you ever try it?).
*edit:never mind, by "spare key" you meant the other fob. In that case #1 below is clearly the problem.

These issues usually boil down as described above...
1)SKS disable button accidently hit...push it to turn back on

or

2)battery in fob is weak...too weak to work the SKS but not yet too weak to use the remote system...that dies soon too but it commonly works for a couple of times.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Everything in the original post is consistant with the SKS being turned off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jdenenberg, was correct. It was the button under the steering column area. My wife drives close to the steering wheel, so her knee must have came in contact with that button while exting the car. I can't believe it was just a switch & I was thinking it was going to be something much more technical to fix. Boy, I feel like a dumba_ _. Thank you all for your assistance & rapid response. This forum has alot of great info. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
R1 said:
I can't believe it was just a switch & I was thinking it was going to be something much more technical to fix. Thank you all for your assistance & rapid response. This forum has alot of great info. :D
Don't forget, if you're not going to be driving your Prius for a couple of weeks, you should press that button to turn the SKS off as this is a battery drain. The smaller battery, that is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Right Church -- Wrong Pew

Half-way through this post I thought the punchline was going to be that she was trying to get into the wrong Prius. They all look alike.

Back when I was young and there were few key patterns, I used my parents keys to go sit in our station wagon while my parents chatted after a community function. All of a sudden I realized the car didn't smell of cigarettes. I checked the ash trays and they were empty. It was not our car. Two identical cars in the same lot had the same key. That was 1956-1958 or so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.