Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I search around and couldn't find a previous discussion about this. How does the door handle sense my hand near it. I can walk up to the car, but it does not unlock (but the interior lights come on). Only when my hand is within an inch or so of the handle does the car unlock. Anyone have any clues?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not sure, but I have set off the unlock while washing my Prius. So maybe there is a pressure sensitive pad inside the door handle? It feels flexible.

Are you saying your car unlocks even if you don't touch the door handle, but just place your hand within an inch of it?

·
Registered
215 Posts
autoxic said:
I'm not sure, but I have set off the unlock while washing my Prius. So maybe there is a pressure sensitive pad inside the door handle? It feels flexible.
I go to the selfwash places with the spraygun also, and when I'm washing the sides, my lights go on and off so much I had a guy walk up and tell me my alarm was going off...hehe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My door only unlocks when my hand is within an inch or less of the handle (that includes but not necessarily touching it). Could there be some type of electromagnetic sensor that senses the slight electric charge of your body?

As for the lights coming on, I meant the interior dome lights. I only notice at night. If you walk up to the car and don't reach for the door handle, the interior dome light comes on by itself. If you walk away, it goes off.

It's little things like that which makes this car so amazing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sensor on bacl of handle

With smart entery your fingers have to be touching the back of the door handle to trigger the lock. Is that what you were asking??

·
Registered
381 Posts
According to my dealer, it's an electromagnetic field; if anyone has tech. specs and can confirm this,... :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
ok, time for a little test. Get your car and walk up to it to open the door. move your hand slowly towards the handle. Measure how far away when it activates.. or.. do you have to touch it. Then, get a piece of carpet and put it next to your car... rub your feet and test your new static electrified hand out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I dont have to touch the handle, only put my hand in the door handle well and it beeps twice. It seems to vary on wither I have rubber sole shoes or leather, with rubber sole shoes I have to bring my hand a lot closer.
But I have another question. I was sitting in a restaurant looking out the window, my car was about five feet away and some kids were looking at my car. I was wondering if they grabbed to door handle would it unlock? Could they drive off and if so how far could they drive off?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've tested this on my car already. The "smart Key" or "FOB" as i think i've heard it be called that. works about at a max of 4 feet or so away from the car. You can not turn on the car unless the key is inside the car. It will simply go into aux mode and beep a lot. try it out. the car won't even **** unless the key is in the car. simply put.. it know when you're in the car or not.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Somebody can't open the locked door when the fob is inside either

fun with fobs

roll down the window ( just for safety )
turn the car off
put the fob in the seat
lock the doors and then shut them

It will lock the door if another door is unlocked

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think i tested every scenario... if the FOB is close to the car on one side.. you unlock with the door handle on the other side.. it's location sensative... if the window is down and you're inside and you try to start the car with the FOB ouside, nothing happens. The FOB has to be inside the car. even pressed against the drivers window, the start did not work.

If the car's on, the door will not lock at all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Peripherally related.

The other day a passenger was getting out of my car and asked what the black button on the handle was for. I told her to go ahead and push it; I needed to lock the car anyway. She pushed, no beep. Push it firmly says I. No go. The passenger who was seated on the rear passenger side tried it as I was coming around to investigate. Worked on the first try. Maybe she wasn't pushing firmly enough.

Or maybe the fob has to be in range for the black button to work.

·
Registered
112 Posts
All about range of the "activated" doors. I tried that same thing earlier.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just out of curiosity, how many key Fob's did your Prii come with? Mine came with two. I ask because I bought mine from a dealer over 200 miles away who delivered the car. After the delivery guys left, I noticed that they forgot to remove one of those metal boxes that go on the window to keep the car's keys in at the dealer (it was in the compartment between the seats). Of course, it was locked, so I had no idea if there was another key fob in it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Mine came with two also. I put one in my pocket before I leave for work, and take it out after I get home; other than that, I don't touch it. 8) The other I leave at home. With my last car (pre-2003), I carried a spare in my wallet; with this one, since it doesn't leave my pocket, I don't bother. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Watching a tutorial is kind of like reading a manual; "only when necessary"... 8)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Watching a tutorial

Watching a tutorial is like reading a manual.......I find it nescessary when people are driving around tossing keys out of their windows trying to figure simplicity out to read the manual.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts