Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lucked out and got a package #6 without waiting. So I never researched the Smart Entry & Start option until I started using it. From the manual it seems that the Key only needs to be within 5m of the car for the car for the doors to open automatically and (I think) if the key is close enough to the car you can start the car by simply pressing the power button. This works in my car, I don't have to take the key out of my pocket to open and start the car.

However, I do have one paranoid security question. What stops some unscrupulous person from jumping into my car and starting it and driving off while I am walking near the car? I know I can disable the Smart Start system from the switch under the steering wheel. If I choose to leave smart start on, is this far fetched scenario possible?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Nothing stops them from jacking you under those circumstances, but consider two things...

1. If they power down, they're stuck, since you won't be around to make it work again.

2. Unless the thief knows *all* about the Prius, he's going to jump in, and get confused. On the other hand, if the thief is a regular here on PriusOnline, he already knows he won't get very far without your fob.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What stops some unscrupulous person from jumping into my car and starting it and driving off while I am walking near the car?
From my understanding, the Start button will not respond unless the key FOB is detected inside the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I haven't really tested the distance or done the inside/outside test. I just read my owners manual last night and was surprised that it cited a possible 5 meter range.

That range may have been for opening the doors. I'm not sure about starting the car, that may require being in the car.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I did perform a test, and I had to get within 3 or 4 feet before it worked. But, they car started even when I held the fob out the window.

I would be more worried of someone sticking a gun in my back, and stealing my fob.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
CaPriusLover said:
I would be more worried of someone sticking a gun in my back, and stealing my fob.
Hmm... maybe carry a dummy set of Toyota keys (for something other than the Prius) separate from the fob? Throw that to the thief and then run out of shooting range before he discovers the ruse?

·
Registered
17 Posts
According to the docs I've been able to find:
- the doors don't automatically unlock when the fob is detected; they go into an "unlock ready" mode and don't actually unlock until someone touches a contact sensor inside the door handle.
- which doors will unlock when the contact sensors are touched, and which doors' contact sensors go into "unlock ready" mode depends on which transceiver picked up the fob and what your SE/SS settings are. e.g., walking up on the driver's side will only enable the contact sensors on the driver's side, and depending on how you program your fob, touching the driver's door handle could open only the driver's door.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Speculation: The 5-meter range is the range at which you can unlock the doors by pressing the unlock button on the fob. But the Smart-Entry only works at a much closer range.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Daniel said:
Speculation: The 5-meter range is the range at which you can unlock the doors by pressing the unlock button on the fob. But the Smart-Entry only works at a much closer range.
That sounds reasonable to me and is similar to the fob on other cars Ive had.

·
Registered
381 Posts
richard schumacher said:
Hmm... maybe carry a dummy set of Toyota keys (for something other than the Prius) separate from the fob?
...or maybe pick up a "broken" or "disabled" fob, gut it, and toss 'em one that even LOOKS like it'll work. 8)

·
Registered
623 Posts
TechnoMage said:
richard schumacher said:
Hmm... maybe carry a dummy set of Toyota keys (for something other than the Prius) separate from the fob?
...or maybe pick up a "broken" or "disabled" fob, gut it, and toss 'em one that even LOOKS like it'll work. 8)
Problem is, he probably expects a metal key, and would demand one if you gave him the real fob! My mother's Accord has a combination fob/key. The fob is a remote that can lock and unlock the doors, but the key is necessary to start the car (and can open the door if need be). I say, give him the key to a different car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did a quick unscientific test. I stood by the car while my son held the fob and walked towards me. I wasn't able to open the car door until he was about 6 feet away from me. Then I got in the driver seat and tried to start it. No luck. He continued to walk towards me and I wasn't able to start the car until he was about 1 foot away (he was standing right outside the driver's window).

So, it appears that the fob doesn't have to be IN the car to start, but it must be really close.

Now that I'm getting used to the SE/SS I'm starting to appreciate it. I never take my keys out of my pocket anymore. This is nice, but changing a lifetime of behavior isn't easy.

G

·
0 Posts
By the same token, the car seems to know when the fob is inside when you go to lock the car. My wife's purse with the fob was left in the car. I was glad to see it wouldn't let me lock the door.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
hehe.. Changing a lifetime habit was quick for me. Only two days after getting the Prius, I tried to get in my other car by just grabbing the handle, expecting it to unlock. Later, when I left the car unlocked, I got in, and tried to push the emergency blinker button, expecting the car to start. (My Hyundai's emergency blinker button is big, round, and about where the power button is on the Prius.)

·
Registered
299 Posts
It's funny how this car changes the way we do things. I too tried to get into my wifes care by grabbing the handle. Aftre getting into the car, I tried to press the e-brake with my foot but got nothing but air. I then had to dig the keys out of my pocket to start the car ... which was just too weird. After shutting the car down, I went for the e-brake again. I was momentarily confused; how the heck to I set the brake again? Then, when I got out of her car I tried to press the button on the handle to lock it ... but there was no button!!

There are times when I approach my car and try to get in, forgetting that my fob was still on the key holder. I normally have it in my pocket at all times so I naturally expect my car to open up for me.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I can confirm that the car will not start if the FOB is not inside the car.

In fact, I couldn't even start the car while I was sitting in the passenger seat with the fob in my pocket. I had to be in the driver's seat for it to work.

That's just my car. Your results may differ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts