Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 2001 Pirus with 50,000 miles. I've only had it a week. On my first tankful of gas I got 39 mpg. Under certain conditions...in the 20 - 33 miles per hour range...the car appears to lose power....it's sluggish. It's especially sluggish when I decelerate from a higher speed into the aforementioned speed range..and then attempt to accelerate. There's no engine knock...just a draggy feel....that slowly but surely clears the more aggressively you step on the pedal. Is this normal for the hybrid technology? Could there be something wrong with this automobile? I'd appreciate some observations and advice.

·
Registered
582 Posts
sluggish

Hey Melman, if it is probably the pedal then maybe we ought to talk. But I am not convinced yet. Was the vehicle inspected by a qualified mechanic before you bought it? Any issues noted?

I want to be sure that the warranty HV battery resealing has been done. Aso that the injectors and throttle butterfly are clean. Probably about six other things.

The only thing you can do with the accelerator pedal without getting "serious" is the fully depress it and release it about 30 times when the car is off. No fuel is being moved; you are just trying to clean up a couple of resistors. If you are willing to wiggle around the floor in front of the driver's seat, remove the electrical connector to the accelerator pedal assembly and spray contact cleaner in there. Then remake the connection.

If you want to do an accel pedal swap, I can surely beat the Toyota price. Even though I now have to send an advertising commission to MRV.

DAS

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
One thing I didn't think to ask this new driver: how is the acceleration when flooring it? going up hills?

Many new Prius drivers (usually on test drives) hear the engine rev up to provide more power, and instinctively let off of the accelerator thinking that the loud engine is hurting or straining itself. By letting off of the accelerator, the Prius thinks this driver wants to not go as fast, so the car "becomes sluggish" because that is what the new driver's foot told it to do.

With the eCVT on the Prius, the sound of the engine doesn't correlate with the speed of the car, but with the power output requested by the driver (through the accelerator pedal). Much like riding a single-speed bicycle, you'd huff and puff to go up a hill or suddenly change your speed, but coming down the hill you'd just coast and not pedal...

There is a rev. limiter on the Prius, so it never gets into a "red line" situation. I never quite remember the actual number, but the NHW20 is 500RPM higher than the NHW11, and one of those is limited at 5000RPM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.